interior water leak

Questions about interior lighting, shift knobs, just anything mainly to do with modifications on the inside of the car. Ask those questions here.
hollywoodairbrush
n00b

interior water leak

Post by hollywoodairbrush » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:39 pm

Hello, can someone please help me stop a water leak?
Basic description: leak is only after rainfall. As I drive forward, a steady stream of rain water comes from underneath the far passenger side glove compartment.
Thanks.

titansxt
2GN Member

Post by titansxt » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:07 pm

Body - Water Leaks to Passenger Front Floor

NUMBER: 23-008-03

GROUP: Body

DATE: Apr. 11, 2003

SUBJECT:
Right Side Cowl Water Leak

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves sealing a right side cowl seam.

MODELS:

2003 PL Neon/SX 2.0

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Water on the right front passenger floor.

DIAGNOSIS:

Run water over the right lower A-pillar with a garden hose. Remove passenger side cowl trim and pull back floor carpet to confirm water leaking into passenger compartment. If water/leak is present, perform the repair procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

1. Open Hood.

2. Remove the three screws holding the cowl grille/screen on the passenger side of the vehicle.

3. Partially remove hood to cowl seal, at the leading edge of cowl grille/screen.

4. Disengage grille/cowl screen anchor at center of cowl.

5. Rotate the right side cowl grille/screen out of the way of the cowl plenum being careful to not pull cowl grille/screen upper weatherstrip off.

6. Locate the large vertical and horizontal sealer beads near the right outboard cowl grille screen mounting screw attaching point (Fig. 1). The sealer beads are at the junction of the A-pillar, cowl plenum upper and cowl side panel. Apply Mopar Silicone Windshield & Glass Sealer, p/n 04467708, to the outer edge of all existing sealer beads.

7. Allow sealer to set up for 30 minutes. Water test right lower cowl area to verify repair. install passenger side cowl trim.

8. Reverse above procedure to install the cowl grille/screen.

viewtopic.php?t=10382&highlight=water+p ... side+floor

viewtopic.php?t=24054&highlight=water+p ... side+floor

Keep your vents on the recirculate setting when you park the car.
Last edited by titansxt on Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2003 SXT
2005 SRT-4
2gn.org member #26 :tard:
Lemon Neon member #1.
Any or all of the above statement(s) may be entirely fictional and a fabrication. :lol:
ram50rocket wrote: I must had been mistaken in thinking that NEONS.ORG was just for neons.

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:09 pm

There's not much we can do for you from our keyboards, you're gonna need to pull the dash and track it down the good old fashioned way. There are a number of possible leak sources, could be any one of them, and you won't know until you tear into it.
-Derek

|Donate to 2gn|Feedback || OB's | GozziFab | All Business |

titansxt
2GN Member

Post by titansxt » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:13 pm

OB wrote:There's not much we can do for you from our keyboards, you're gonna need to pull the dash and track it down the good old fashioned way. There are a number of possible leak sources, could be any one of them, and you won't know until you tear into it.
Wrong.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f10/rai ... or-600752/

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f10/rai ... sh-598528/

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f75/how ... or-354202/

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f25/wat ... ng-584934/

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f75/inf ... tc-218479/
2003 SXT
2005 SRT-4
Lemon Neon member #1.
Any or all of the above statement(s) may be entirely fictional and a fabrication. :lol:
ram50rocket wrote: I must had been mistaken in thinking that NEONS.ORG was just for neons.

hollywoodairbrush
n00b

Post by hollywoodairbrush » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:05 pm

Thanks for the quick replies.
Have a good day.

darthroush
2GN Member

Post by darthroush » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:53 pm

titansxt wrote:
OB wrote:There's not much we can do for you from our keyboards, you're gonna need to pull the dash and track it down the good old fashioned way. There are a number of possible leak sources, could be any one of them, and you won't know until you tear into it.
Wrong.

Wrong.

I know people who have had the TSB performed, by a dealer or by themselves, that still had that leak. You can't assume that just because some people have had the problem fixed that way, that it will be the solution 100% of the time.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:12 am

My '91 Shadow had the same problem- didn't know it happens in our Neons. [/off-topic]
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:29 pm

titansxt wrote:
Wrong.

Just because there is a TSB doesn't mean that's the location of the leak. Not to mention, even if it is, the water damage needs to be repaired. This usually means carpet replacement. Performing a TSB in the hopes that it fixes the problem is the WRONG way to fix a leak. If this came into a dealer (like mine for example) the tech would first locate the leak, confirm that it is the same location as the TSB (or not), and go from there.

I do this for a living smarty pants. :tardbang:

Good lookin out Tyler ;)
-Derek

titansxt
2GN Member

Post by titansxt » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:35 pm

OB wrote:
Just because there is a TSB doesn't mean that's the location of the leak. Not to mention, even if it is, the water damage needs to be repaired. This usually means carpet replacement. Performing a TSB in the hopes that it fixes the problem is the WRONG way to fix a leak. If this came into a dealer (like mine for example) the tech would first locate the leak, confirm that it is the same location as the TSB (or not), and go from there.

Good lookin out Tyler ;)
And this is why people avoid the dealership. :rofl:
2003 SXT
2005 SRT-4
Lemon Neon member #1.

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:45 pm

Good one :thumbup:
-Derek

darthroush
2GN Member

Post by darthroush » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:37 pm

titansxt wrote:
OB wrote:

Good lookin out Tyler ;)
And this is why people avoid the dealership. :rofl:
Any shop, or person who actually wants to fix the problem, would do the same thing? :roll:

titansxt
2GN Member

Post by titansxt » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:49 pm

darthroush wrote:Any shop, or person who actually wants to fix the problem, would do the same thing? :roll:
Well since you phrased it as a question, no.

You both obviously misunderstood the TSB. The first part of the TSB says:

DIAGNOSIS:

Run water over the right lower A-pillar with a garden hose. Remove passenger side cowl trim and pull back floor carpet to confirm water leaking into passenger compartment. If water/leak is present, perform the repair procedure.

Is that not the first step in finding a problem? This can be done at home and there is no reason to go to the dealer. Nearly all leaks from the right side of the car under the glove box come from this problem. Why would you start to locate a leak elsewhere when I listed almost 10 different suggestions to the same leak AND the fact that is such a widespread problem that Dodge sent out a TSB? Do you enjoy wasting your own time?

OB just to clear things up so you don't get upset I said WRONG to this statement. "There's not much we can do for you from our keyboards...". So I listed the probable fix.
2003 SXT
2005 SRT-4
Lemon Neon member #1.

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:49 pm

Had you clarified which part of my post you considered to be "WRONG" to begin with, we wouldn't be having this conversation, now would we? If someone is going to quote a post of mine and flat out say that I'm wrong, you can bet that I'm going to have something to say about it. At any rate, I do agree that the TSB is a good way to start diag for a leak; my point was that it is not the end-all solution to any leak, which is how you made it sound.

Now, baaack on topic. :thumbup:
-Derek

titansxt
2GN Member

Post by titansxt » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:14 pm

OB wrote:Had you clarified which part of my post you considered to be "WRONG" to begin with, we wouldn't be having this conversation, now would we? If someone is going to quote a post of mine and flat out say that I'm wrong, you can bet that I'm going to have something to say about it. At any rate, I do agree that the TSB is a good way to start diag for a leak; my point was that it is not the end-all solution to any leak, which is how you made it sound.

Now, baaack on topic. :thumbup:
I did see why you got all defensive, so thats why I clarified it. Just making sure no one gets butt hurt. :thumbup:

I know first hand how frustrating this leak is, so I was more than willing to help out with as many examples as possible.
2003 SXT
2005 SRT-4
Lemon Neon member #1.

darthroush
2GN Member

Post by darthroush » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:07 am

titansxt wrote:
darthroush wrote:Any shop, or person who actually wants to fix the problem, would do the same thing? :roll:
Is that not the first step in finding a problem?
Not sure why I've got a question mark there, but yes it is. But now that you clarified it, I get what you were saying. :)
Last edited by darthroush on Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

steamer1227
2GN Member

Post by steamer1227 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:38 am

good to know cuz i have this same problem shit makes a hissing noise and it looks like my dash is pissing all over my carpet.

guess i cant stop yelling bad neon bad neon no no..dont do that.

-STEPHEN- <HOW TO> <FEEDBACK>

DodgeEvo
2GN Member

Post by DodgeEvo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:24 pm

Same here, I have that problem of water just pissing out on the floor. I saw it coming out of the bottom of the ac blower plug at the bottom of the motor there and sealed it up. Then it started to come out of the top mid section of the blower assembly behind the glove box/airbag, and sealed that up. It still just pisses out :banghead: On a good weekend am just going to rip out the dash and find where its coming from. All I can stay.

jenniferhoops
n00b

Post by jenniferhoops » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:02 am

Hey friend

I have also the same problem with my car and i can't find the leakage part of my car. But when i asked from mechanic he said its normal and he stops the leak in just few minutes.
We provides protection against low water flow, lead leaching, corrosion and pipe leaks.

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:54 am

Errr...what?

Methinks this is a very clever ad bot :-k
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

titansxt
2GN Member

Post by titansxt » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:49 am

jenniferhoops wrote:Hey friend

I have also the same problem with my car and i can't find the leakage part of my car. But when i asked from mechanic he said its normal and he stops the leak in just few minutes.
2003 SXT
2005 SRT-4
Lemon Neon member #1.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:32 am

:laughing3:

Canada
Junior Admin

Post by Canada » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:49 pm

:rofl: I'm gonna leave that there for the lulz!

Adam G
2GN Member

Post by Adam G » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:12 pm

glad nobody called me out from carlisle when I was out in the show field getting that pond out of my srt4........one search online and problem was fixed
Adam

04 eblue srt4 - shes getting there
97 white ram
81 white camaro z28

owned 11 neons so far and growing

DodgeEvo
2GN Member

Post by DodgeEvo » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:51 am

Had heavy rain last night and today and drove the car and had this.

So I ripped part of the car apart and its coming mainly from the defrosters/heat/ac area or the blower motor. It started to rain heavy again so I went outside and looked at the cowl above the engine bay and saw were the air enters.

The only problem was there was one water going into it. Started the car and started to drive and water came out of the blower area again like normaly. It was wondering if anybody had any update yet or might have a better idea now.
Patrick

greybox
2GN Member

Post by greybox » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:31 pm

So I re-sealed all along that lower bead as far towards the driver's side as I could get and I added a raised edge made of sealant to the little piece of sheet metal that drops down under the passengers side to try to keep it from sloshing around...then I used the same tech as mk1 VWs...I took a sharp metal punch and put 2 small drain holes in the passenger side foot well way up in the corner closest to the wheel arch under the rubber mat that is under the carpet. I can't say what made the difference but after it rained really heavy all of last night I have no puddle! Yay!!!

jenniferhoops
n00b

Post by jenniferhoops » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:38 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I have also the same problem with my car and i have found the leakage right after the dashboard.
We provides protection against low water flow, lead leaching, corrosion and pipe leaks.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:36 am

jenniferhoops wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. I have also the same problem with my car and i have found the leakage right after the dashboard.
Danteneon wrote:Methinks this is a very clever ad bot :-k
Back again... :shock:

DodgeEvo
2GN Member

Post by DodgeEvo » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:34 pm

Well I fixed my water leak by coving these areas up with some silcone. Ever since doing that, no more water after washing car, heavy rain, and etc. Here are some pics of the areas of I covered up.

Patrick

greybox
2GN Member

Post by greybox » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:22 am

That is exactly where I did the extra sealing as well (and added the drain holes) and the car is staying completely dry! yippee!!!!

darthroush
2GN Member

Post by darthroush » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:20 pm

Midnight_Rider wrote:
jenniferhoops wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. I have also the same problem with my car and i have found the leakage right after the dashboard.
Danteneon wrote:Methinks this is a very clever ad bot :-k
Back again... :shock:
Now with a spam link in "her" sig too! :beatstick:

Return to “Interior”