... mouse problem...

Questions about interior lighting, shift knobs, just anything mainly to do with modifications on the inside of the car. Ask those questions here.
UriahRR
2GN Member

... mouse problem...

Post by UriahRR » Sun May 01, 2011 2:51 pm

Well my car's been in and out of garages constantly for the last few weeks getting ready for autocross and inspection. It finally passed inspection this week, but I had to take it to a crappy garage in the middle of the slums for it to pass. However, while my car was there overnight, a mouse found my car to be a pretty comfortable house all stripped out and low to the ground and decided to eat my registration and insurance info out of the glove box. Pain in the ass, but I replaced them and got it inspected. However, today when I went out to inspect to see if my little vermin had visited me again, sure enough, he did. Didn't target my paperwork this time, rather my iPod case that's hooked up in my glove box and left me some more turd souvenirs. Luckily it's a thick case or he would have eaten the iPod.

So now what do I do? I've barely driven the car in the past week, just cruising in the stang convertible to take it easy on the ol neon, but the few times I have driven it, I haven't heard any weird noises or seen a mouse or anything and it's not like there are many places for him to hide in the car. What's the best way for me to get it out?

We have bird feeders outside of our house with random seeds and when I opened my hood today some sunflower seeds fell out of the back of my hood scoop onto my engine and there were some more turds along the wiring behind the left headlight around under the motor mount area. So now it's really pissing me off! My car has NEVER had a pest in it before, but during a one night stand at a dirty garage it gets infected with a mouse STD. Any ideas other than a simple mouse trap?

Thanks guys. This shit is grossing me out. My beautiful car reduced to a mouse house...

logikfive
2GN Member

Post by logikfive » Sun May 01, 2011 4:57 pm

Mothballs?
'88 Conquest TSi SHP Intercooled Turbo 2.6L/5-Speed
'99 Durango SLT 5.9L 4x4 Supercharged
'78 Trans Am 467ci

Paul56
2GN Member

Post by Paul56 » Sun May 01, 2011 5:22 pm

Sticky traps... where the mouse is caught if it steps on the trap. Place them in all the places you have sighted the mouse.

You might also want to add some bait leading up to the trap in the form of sunflower seeds.

Now, some will say those traps are cruel because the mouse can potentially struggle for hours once stuck on it... but check often and put the mouse out of it's misery early before it turns itself inside out trying to escape the trap.
2011 Honda Fit Sport

garfield3887
2GN Member

Post by garfield3887 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:06 pm

I say you just go get a bar of poison and take care ofbhis ass!!
I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies Club #102

“I slept on it for 24 hours, ... and it made a lot of sense, so I agreed. Both of us then put our best pieces on the table, and we both found surprises. We took parts from both our engines, and we were able to increase our horsepower.” - Jack Roush

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Mon May 02, 2011 12:29 am

A barn kitty would do a good job for you. :twisted:
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

iThane
2GN Member

Post by iThane » Mon May 02, 2011 1:39 am

just drive the car like a mad man. maybe the mouse will find its new
home too uncomfortable and move out?
My Progress Log
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000104

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:01 am

yeah just stick a couple of traps (the lethal kind) on your floorboards at night with a nice piece of cheese in them. guarunteed he'll be dead by morning :thumbup:
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

UriahRR
2GN Member

Post by UriahRR » Mon May 02, 2011 8:55 am

Ladies and Gentlemen, we got em!

Surprisingly, he didn't go for the trap in the glove box.
But the floor boards got him. I'm still wondering where he could have been coming in from??? He's a big one, too.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Mon May 02, 2011 9:01 am

You would think that mice would have caught on to these traps by now considering how old the "technology" is. :lol: Glad that you got him before he did any more damage.

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:00 am

lol thats awesome you did exactly what i was suggesting :rofl:

and gramps you cant learn from your mistakes if you always die :lol:
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

Haganracing
2GN Member

Post by Haganracing » Mon May 02, 2011 5:30 pm

Damn you caught him.. Ive been sneaking over every night putting that little guy in your car.
occasional demons wrote:So maybe a FuzzyDanteHagan sammich might just beat a FuzzyHagan. :-k
Danteneon wrote:My advice is to fight those urges and enjoy the fact that you have both X and Y chromosomes. And an SRT. And your hand. You don't need a girl.

UriahRR
2GN Member

Post by UriahRR » Mon May 02, 2011 5:59 pm

Haganracing wrote:Damn you caught him.. Ive been sneaking over every night putting that little guy in your car.
:laughing3: :rofl:
That was seriously fucking funny.

I left the traps in there today while I was at work, they weren't even touched when I checked about a half hour ago. I'm going to leave them in there tonight and if they're empty tomorrow morning, I'd figure my problem to be solved! Yay!

Have to admit, at first I was freaking out, but now that I see how effectively these old dollar store four-pack traps work, even in cars, if I ever have a mouse in da house later in life I'll know exactly where to turn.
:rockon:

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue May 03, 2011 3:02 am

r/tguy02 wrote:...gramps you cant learn from your mistakes if you always die :lol:
I've always wondered if animals communicate with each other about dangers like this but they must not considering that they always seem to fall prey to the same old traps.

dblsg
2GN Veteran

Post by dblsg » Tue May 03, 2011 8:40 am

glad you got the little mothereffer before he decided to chew through some wires
Image Sam-I-Am
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000046
Diablo0 wrote: "eh... your opinion doesn't matter... I'm doing what I want..."

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue May 03, 2011 9:51 am

iThane wrote:just drive the car like a mad man. maybe the mouse will find its new
home too uncomfortable and move out?

Psh, he was prolly a speed freak, just waiting for a good ride.

He got slapped by an SRT rear spoiler, mouse style instead. :lol:
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Paul56
2GN Member

Post by Paul56 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:12 pm

No carpet or padding on the floor?

...weight reduction mod?
2011 Honda Fit Sport

UriahRR
2GN Member

Post by UriahRR » Tue May 03, 2011 6:40 pm

No sir. No anything behind the two front seats. Basically an AutoX car since I don't drive it that much anymore.

Update, both traps empty this morning. Problem solved I hope. Took the car for a quick spin after work today. God damn these cars handle a hell of a lot better than Mustangs - until you hit the limit and the FWD just shoot straight off the road. :lol:

So... not being the most proud of having a mouse car, I think we should just stop bumping this thread and let it faaaaaaade awaaaaay....
Or you guys can take it way off topic and turn it into an awesome thread. Your choice.

Fuzzyneon
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Fuzzyneon » Tue May 03, 2011 7:19 pm

*bump*

i love the "kill shots" i was hoping youd post them
Member of Spork Racing
2002 Dodge Neon
Frankenstien

bige1030
2GN Member

Post by bige1030 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:55 pm

dblsg wrote:glad you got the little mothereffer before he decided to chew through some wires
I second that! Especially since some kind of rodent had cut off the wires to the intake air temperature sensor and fuel injectors #2 and #3 on my car! Luckily I know how to solder, so I got the wires fixed. However, the circuit for fuel injector #3 got shorted in the PCM, so I had to get a new one :(

Damn rats! Death to all of them for chewing these wires! Not only that, but they like the ignition cable boots, too. Luckily they haven't eaten those, too.

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Wed May 18, 2011 7:09 pm

Dryer sheets work. They hate the smell of them much the same as mothballs, only they don't reek like moth balls.

A few other ideas:

- A metal flashing encasement around the car about 1 foot high. They can't climb it. Kinda like a hockey rink for your car
- Mothballs (ehhhh they reek)
- Peppermint oil, they hate this too
- Dryer sheets

bige1030
2GN Member

Post by bige1030 » Thu May 19, 2011 3:05 am

Nice! I'll have to try that!

Could I tape some dryer sheets to the hood and leave them there when I take the Neon out?

Of course they should be new for maximum benefit, but would used dryer sheets still work, too?

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sat May 21, 2011 8:43 pm

I'm not sure if they'd stay, but I don't see why not :rofl:. You just wouldn't want them detaching and getting on the manifold.

bigtommy83
2GN Member

Post by bigtommy83 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:33 pm

UriahRR wrote: But the floor boards got him. I'm still wondering where he could have been coming in from??? He's a big one, too.
they come in through the fresh air intake for your hvac. they usually don't make it past the blower motor though. at least you caught him when he was alive. and not sitting in the heater box rotting away. i get those at work all the time, usually in fall when they are looking for a warm place.

Return to “Interior”