Acid Smell

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
DouglasSXT
2GN Member

Post by DouglasSXT » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:32 pm

I had someone actually sit in the back seat for me. Upon going up the steap ass hill and having to gun it, the rear window fogs up from the inside and she said she could feel alot of heat from the back end. Even though the heat was off and I had everything set to cool anyways. This has also happened now going on the throughway if I have to really get on it to pass cars or once again to go up hills. Everything seems normal, no blown fuses or any funky electrical issues. The rad fluid is very dark and smelly, so I'm picking up new fluid tomorrow and flushing out the old stuff. The rad and tranny was replaced like 25,000 miles ago. Just seems very strange and I haven't heard of anyone else with this issue, so I thank all of you very much for the input. Hope the next few days to take a closer look.

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:45 am

My guess is the cat is going bad. It will get very hot under a load and that heat would be felt by the rear passengers. It will sometimes stink as well.

Easy check...when you notice the power drop on a hill, pull over as soon as you can and look under the car. The cat will be glowing if it's plugged.
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:56 am

Have you checked the spare tire well for water?

Feeding off of Dante's theory, the muffler would also be throwing heat, warming up any moisture in the trunk/under the seats. If the tail light gaskets are bad enough, you may be sucking a small amount of fumes into the car also.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:17 am

:withstupid:

Good point as well.
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

DouglasSXT
2GN Member

Post by DouglasSXT » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:05 am

Well finally got around to fixing all the things that were bad. First off the rad fluid was pretty crappy so I put new fluid into replace that. Don't think that was the real issue, but it was def needed anyways. Replaced the whole exhaust from the cat all the way out to the the back. The muffler I had on had some small wholes in it and the cat was in pretty bad shape as well. So far the smell has vanished so I hope I fixed the issue. I just hope the po po leave me alone because I have the SRT-4 exhaust on again instead of the original set-up. Back to bein a bit louder again, but at least the car doesn't smell like ass. lol Thanks for everyones input, hope this post may help someone else later on if possible.

Haganracing
2GN Member

Post by Haganracing » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:15 am

Glad you got it fixed, worst comes to worst.. you could have just driven with the rear windows down :thumbup:
occasional demons wrote:So maybe a FuzzyDanteHagan sammich might just beat a FuzzyHagan. :-k
Danteneon wrote:My advice is to fight those urges and enjoy the fact that you have both X and Y chromosomes. And an SRT. And your hand. You don't need a girl.

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”