I need help rebuilding a nightmare

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
wickedneonrt
2GN Member

I need help rebuilding a nightmare

Post by wickedneonrt » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:17 pm

Its been awhile since i've been on here so forgive me if these questions seem newbie.

I recently obtained a 04 srt4 (previous was 01r/t) which will now make my 4th pl body.

This thing is a fast and furious mess and the kid who owned it had some sort of death wish. First off the accumulator is tied into the pcv hose (ya i said it), the battery is held in with a board (yep said it again) and about half the engine bay is missing or tampered with.

Anywho's i am a tech and a auto tech instructor so I'm not worried and i'll resurrect this girl from the dead with your guys help.

First

The three solenoids by the airbox have all been removed and resistor blocked. I'm gonna have to find stock ones but is there anyreason you guys know why someone would remove and trick all the tip, wastegate, and surge solenoids?

Second
This vehicle has a agp wastegate solenoid. I dont know of this brand and i'd like your guys opinion on it. I also remember from memory (good place to remember huh) that thesec ars did about 14 psi stock? Is that correct. I want to see what he has and hasnt manipulated so i can return to stock and do correctly.

Third,
Are the brakes supposed to be brembo or just painted calipers? Of course this has been upgraded with fancy carquest pads (ya thats a joke) so i want to get it back to its needed roots.

Fourth
Who is in your opinion your best 2gn vendor? I've always used mp primarily and i used a couple other places with my first gen that seem to have become dead and gone in my absence messing with my lx. Anyone besides mp that i can trust out there?

Thanks guys (and gals)

also hes got the headlights and fog lights jacked where the headlights only come on where the fog light switch is and vice versa. Have to pull fog switch to get headlights to work. Is this a common mod or else am i just off and tracing wires?
pcm's do more in ten minutes then most people do all day

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Re: I need help rebuilding a nightmare

Post by INVUJerry » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:32 pm

[quote="wickedneonrt"First

The three solenoids by the airbox have all been removed and resistor blocked. I'm gonna have to find stock ones but is there anyreason you guys know why someone would remove and trick all the tip, wastegate, and surge solenoids?

Second
This vehicle has a agp wastegate solenoid. I dont know of this brand and i'd like your guys opinion on it. I also remember from memory (good place to remember huh) that thesec ars did about 14 psi stock? Is that correct. I want to see what he has and hasnt manipulated so i can return to stock and do correctly.

Third,
Are the brakes supposed to be brembo or just painted calipers? Of course this has been upgraded with fancy carquest pads (ya thats a joke) so i want to get it back to its needed roots.

Fourth
Who is in your opinion your best 2gn vendor? I've always used mp primarily and i used a couple other places with my first gen that seem to have become dead and gone in my absence messing with my lx. Anyone besides mp that i can trust out there?

Thanks guys (and gals)

also hes got the headlights and fog lights jacked where the headlights only come on where the fog light switch is and vice versa. Have to pull fog switch to get headlights to work. Is this a common mod or else am i just off and tracing wires?[/quote]

The solenoid being removed and a resistor but in place is sort of normal. People do this so they can turn the boost up past 17 pounds without turning on a CEL.

AGP is a huge brand, they mainly sell turbo kits and bolt ons for the SRT's. He probably had it set higher. This does cause a good bit of part throttle boost which is a pain in the ass to drive with.

Stock brakes are just painted calipers, no brembo's were ever put on neons stock.

Modern is what I use whenever I need something, there aren't many huge vendors anymore.

I did the light mod on my SXT. Look into the fuse panel, there are probably 2 wires that are swapped and wire wrapped and taped....that's if you're lucky.

wickedneonrt
2GN Member

Post by wickedneonrt » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:02 pm

Thanks for your time man.

Nothing real visual on the fuses, i plan on pulling the combo/multi function tomorrow and seeing if he swapped pins or something.

On the pcv/accumulator- I think he was trying to use his accumulator as a cheap ass catch can (rest of a/c system is removed) so i think i got that handled. Easy fix , i was just trying to figure his method of thinking out.

ON the solenoid is that the tip solenoid that allows the overboost?

I'd rather not overboost on a stock motor. I bet i can find someone in k.c. that would want to swap the agp for the stock wastegate.

Again thanks for your input

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:17 pm

Yep. People switch the wires in the fuse box on the drivers side of the dash. I had to untape the wires and reverse them to stock and solder them when i bought Jerry's sxt :rofl:
PM me for your 00+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:58 pm

wickedneonrt wrote:Thanks for your time man.

Nothing real visual on the fuses, i plan on pulling the combo/multi function tomorrow and seeing if he swapped pins or something.

On the pcv/accumulator- I think he was trying to use his accumulator as a cheap ass catch can (rest of a/c system is removed) so i think i got that handled. Easy fix , i was just trying to figure his method of thinking out.

ON the solenoid is that the tip solenoid that allows the overboost?

I'd rather not overboost on a stock motor. I bet i can find someone in k.c. that would want to swap the agp for the stock wastegate.

Again thanks for your input
I think I have a stock WGA laying around I'd trade for you if you don't care to look.
ASP - First NGC SOHC in the 13s and the 12s. First SOHC neon over 500whp. First NGC Neon on MS.
Winston Churchill wrote:Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.

wickedneonrt
2GN Member

Post by wickedneonrt » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:27 pm

:thumbleft: Yep thatl'll work . Send me your info. I'm sure i look goofy trading in a aftermarket piece for stock but i need it 300k reliable for now.

Edit: wait, kill that, I dont really have a way for that car to be down right now. Put that on hold but let me know if you wanna just sell it or something, unless i get a chance to let it have some down days

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:02 am

there really is no down time to swapping out a wastegate. Probably an hr of your time to change it out...

Themaggots
2GN Member

Post by Themaggots » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:01 am

This link is probably what the kid did with the solenoids.

This link are various vacuum diagrams depending on your setup.

AGP Wastegate is good when you want to be off PCM boost. Which is your case.

Best vendor, it depends on what you want to buy. There's MP, AGP, Realtune, PWerks, DCR etc...

This link is probably what was done do the headlights/fogs.

Also, stock motor can handle 400-450whp with a good tune. Which is way past the limits of the stock turbo.
Jimmy

wickedneonrt
2GN Member

Post by wickedneonrt » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:19 pm

Themaggots wrote:This link is probably what the kid did with the solenoids.

This link are various vacuum diagrams depending on your setup.

AGP Wastegate is good when you want to be off PCM boost. Which is your case.

Best vendor, it depends on what you want to buy. There's MP, AGP, Realtune, PWerks, DCR etc...

This link is probably what was done do the headlights/fogs.

Also, stock motor can handle 400-450whp with a good tune. Which is way past the limits of the stock turbo.

Holy crap, thank you sir. Thats it on everything. Thank you a million times.

Black rose- i just meant on time for me sending the guy my wga and then waiting til i get the stocker back, not actual bolt on time

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”