Hand tighten bolts on my transmission?????

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
unleashedcc
2GN Member

Hand tighten bolts on my transmission?????

Post by unleashedcc » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:03 pm

Ok, I am so disappointed. The one mechanic I trusted did me nasty. About 15 months ago, I had my ATX rebuilt in my 02. I have been noticing a minor transmission leak coming from between the engine and transmission for a couple of months but paid it no attention. 5 days ago, transmission fluid started to pour from the same place (not a minor leak, I mean POUR!!!)

My year warranty was 5 months too late, and I wasn’t going to spend another $1200 to fix it. I decided to do it myself with the help of 2 buddies and the forums :)

Throughout the whole process, we have found so many bolts that were hand tighten, barely any effort to take them off. We are no transmission expert so we really don't know where the leak is coming from BUT we did notice that the 5 bolts holding the plate with the transmission pump were hand tighten.

Could that be the reason why I had such a massive leak? Was the fluid coming out through there since those 5 bolts were loose, or maybe even the washers on them were not changed?

Or could it be the pump itself, like an internal leak? I was told if the pump goes bad it will give signs before it goes completely (loose of pressure would make the car run horrible) and not necessarily leak, not to mention a check engine.

I am not sure what to do now. I'm debating to take the transmission to a shop and get it inspected and waste more money. I would hate to put it up and leak still.

Suggestions?????
-Dres

BWS3 04 Yellow SRT - 1 out of 127 :)
02 SXT - Completely converted to RT/Chrysler (Every bolt on possible) - SOLD

gilly02le
2GN Member

Post by gilly02le » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:16 pm

I'd say your leak was likely from behind the pump assembly, as it would look like the main seal was leaking while the trans was still installed. You could likely just get away with re-sealing it, but shit man, do you really trust what else could be loose inside that beast?
P.s your mechanic is a goof, i'd for sure tell him to his face.
New Sig Time.

unleashedcc
2GN Member

Post by unleashedcc » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:12 pm

oh I will :cussing: I've been looking to maybe just do a MTX swap but I'm short in time :( I need my car back asap.
-Dres

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:46 pm

The FSM shows a flat gasket behind the pump assy. So you may just need to tighten the bolts to spec. I would put a new front lip seal in where the TC slides in tho. I have never had any luck reusing those.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

unleashedcc
2GN Member

Post by unleashedcc » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:52 am

A shop is quoting me $650 to check the trany, put another torque converter, new seals, new o rings.

Is all of that really necessary? I keep getting the feeling the problem is simple, just those 5 bolts were loose but everyone wants to rape me a new one to put everything new :( what should I do?
-Dres

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:54 am

I would just tighten down the pump, and replace the TC seal. Unless the welds on the TC are leaking, I see no reason to replace it. I was working fine right before this so why mess with it?

For $650, I would risk the re install and possibly having to pull it back out.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

unleashedcc
2GN Member

Post by unleashedcc » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:18 pm

I decided to take it to a shop specializing in SRTs and neons (www.rage-tek.com) some of you might heard of them, they sell parts as well, lucky me they are located 15minutes away :)

Nemo told me that it could have been the bolts, but he recommended to replace all the seals while I'm at it just in case. He is going to charge me $400 for the job. He said the torque converter should be fine as long as the transmission never slipped, he also smelled the fluid in it and it was normal.

What I'm a lilttle worry is that the car after it was low in fluid of coarse started to slip. I only drove it in/out of a parking spot. One time the car did that too when a transmission line came off but once I filled it up it drove fine.
-Dres

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:44 pm

I think the bigger worry about it slipping, is if it burnt the fluid/clutches, and left debris in the TC. But since your fluid looks/smells OK, I think it should be fine.

$400 still sucks, but it is more reasonable, but only if the $650 the previous place wanted didn't include the cost of the TC.

But for peace of mind... And you are in better hands.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Drivetrain”