Cigarette lighter power adapter

Questions about AMPs, headunits, speakers, subs, security systems, ect... Anything to do with audio or security, those questions all go here.
Silver-Shadow
2GN Member

xm fm direct adapter and cigarette lighter adapter plug

Post by Silver-Shadow » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:39 pm

Does anyone know how to install or where to connect the cigarette power adapter from my xm radio? The receiver came with a cig adapter that can be connected to the back of the radio and pluged in. I don't know where to access the power portion. From the fuse box or spliced somewhere behind the radio? Any pixs would be great or directions where to connect too.
PS2 SXT - New baby
08 530i e60 M5 Kit - Sold
E39 M5 - BlueMajik (Safely tucked away in the garage)
E39 528i - Sold at 167k miles
Yellow '77 Plymouth Volare (RIP)
skypeme: dtvarnum
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:45 pm

If you want a constant 12 volts, the Pink/Light Blue wire is the one you want. If you want ign switched, then the Red/White wire is the one. These are the wires going into the radio.

If you have an aftermarket radio, most have a blue wire Aux. out, that is switched with the radio power.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Silver-Shadow
2GN Member

Cigarette lighter power adapter

Post by Silver-Shadow » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:52 pm

Can anyone tell me where I hook this up? I am thinking the fuse box or splicing something. It is the adapter that I plug my Xm cig lighter power into and hide it behind the stock radio in my neon. It is suppose to free up my cig adapter so I can plug something else (gps) in and still have power to my XM receiver. I also have to get radio to play when I am not listening to my xm receiver. Don't know why it's not playing. Everything else plays fine.

PS2 SXT - New baby

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:51 pm

I think one thread is enough. :lol:

Like I said, you can either splice into those wires, or go to the fuse panel and use an add-a-circuit fuse adapter if you want. And don't like to splice into factory wiring.

Not sure why the radio doesn't work when the XM is not on. Does it use the antenna adapter for the XM signal?
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

nineball
2GN Member

Post by nineball » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:19 pm

it seems that he has an aftermarket xm which requires it's own power. you could easily wire that into the stock cig lighter wires and call it a day. that is exactly what i did to power my gps and radar.

Silver-Shadow
2GN Member

Post by Silver-Shadow » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:50 pm

Yeah, I don't know either. The fm adapter sits between the factory 05 radio and the antenna on the car. I also have to use the xm antenna too. I thought I wouldn' t need to but I guess I do. When I turn the xm receiver off, the radio doesn't play , just static. Any ideas.
PS2 SXT - New baby

Caraudioholic24
2GN Member

Post by Caraudioholic24 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:35 am

If interested to make it cleaner I have an XM lighter adapter with built in fm modulator that you can plug in and stuff behind the dash. Let me know..

it makes for a very easy install. heres a pic

http://www.myradiostore.com/fmmodulator ... lator.html

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:28 pm

Silver-Shadow wrote:Yeah, I don't know either. The fm adapter sits between the factory 05 radio and the antenna on the car. I also have to use the xm antenna too. I thought I wouldn' t need to but I guess I do. When I turn the xm receiver off, the radio doesn't play , just static. Any ideas.
My guess is when the XM receiver is shut off, it is disconnecting the antenna signal also. I wouldn't think it would work that way, but that's the only thing I can think is happening. Are you powering the FM adapter through the XM receiver? (If it is a separate unit)
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Dabuh
2GN Member

Post by Dabuh » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:14 pm

If you are only getting static when the radio is off then there are two possible problems. Is the model number of your FM direct adapter XMFM1?
1. Your FM direct adapter is broken
2. Its not hooked up properly
From what I can tell it looks like the female side of the FM direct adapter is not hooked up. Make sure this is plugged into the factory antenna wire that had to be unplugged to plug the FM direct adapter into the radio.
I will try a crude drawing, the lines are the wire;

Radio
|
|
FM Direct Adapter------>Satellite Radio
|
|
Factory Antenna Wire

If it is still not working try hooking the factory antenna back up to see if there is a problem somewhere else. The neon's antenna runs from the radio to the passenger kick panel where it has a connector then it goes from that connector to the front right fender where it is mounted. I have seen it come disconnected at the passenger kick panel before.
RADARsx 2.0 wrote:
UriahRR wrote:
Dabuh wrote: This is after an accident as you can see;
Oh yes, I can see the accident. The big, tall, scaffolding accident.
No No...that's his shopping cart handle...lol
ROFL!!!

Return to “Audio / Security / Electrical”