Trunk not opening easily

Got a question on outside appearance modifications. Questions about body kits, exterior lighting, just anything thats a visual mod on the "exterior" of the car. Ask those questions here.
mutant littleman
2GN Member

Trunk not opening easily

Post by mutant littleman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:31 pm

Hey guys so I got a kinda weird question. My trunk latch is not disengaging very easily so I have to use the key fob while I'm right at the trunk to pull it open.

I've taken it apart and cleaned the unit and adjusted the striker but still no luck.

My question is there a way to help this open easier, unfortunately there is no 2gn in my local junkyard to steal the lock off. I was thinking there may be something to "help" pop it open like a high tension spring on the lid or at the striker.

Any input is helpful thanks.
-Andrew

06 Saab 93 Aero Sportcombi, the power of a SRT with more room.

steamer1227
2GN Member

Post by steamer1227 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:48 pm

Mine does this. I have to push the trunk release button twice(four times 2 cycles) for it to open up. But my trunk was damaged and I think that's my problem. If you cleaned it and adjusted it properly I shouldn't have any problems. But sometimes these things happen. Did you try some grease? I would try may e adjusting once more.

-STEPHEN- <HOW TO> <FEEDBACK>

Forest Green 2k
2GN Member

Post by Forest Green 2k » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:43 am

I sprayed WD40 into the keyhole. Never had an issue since.
2000 Forest Green - SOLD

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:33 am

If the rubber bumpers are adjusted too high it can cause the trunk to stick like that.

iThane
2GN Member

Post by iThane » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:39 pm

Donkeypuncher wrote:If the rubber bumpers are adjusted too high it can cause the trunk to stick like that.
This.

My black car had the same issue but after my two rubber bumpers
fell off the trunk opened just fine.
My Progress Log
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000104

RayWolf
2GN Member

Post by RayWolf » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:57 am

Also see if the springs are weak.
I had to adjust mine by putting them in the lower holes on the trunk arms and the furthest hole on the body.
now mine pops every time
Quotes to live by

"Try again, fail again. Fail better." Samuel Beckett

"The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you will see." Winston Churchill

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Albert Einstein

"Try not. Do or do not." Yoda

Dabuh
2GN Member

Post by Dabuh » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:21 pm

RayWolf wrote:Also see if the springs are weak.
I had to adjust mine by putting them in the lower holes on the trunk arms and the furthest hole on the body.
now mine pops every time
I did this but then was slamming open so I switched it back, I'd imagine with a spoiler it wouldn't be so bad.
RADARsx 2.0 wrote:
UriahRR wrote:
Dabuh wrote: This is after an accident as you can see;
Oh yes, I can see the accident. The big, tall, scaffolding accident.
No No...that's his shopping cart handle...lol
ROFL!!!

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:07 pm

mutant littleman, possibly the spring that opens the latch is weak or broken. I have no bumpers on my lid, and it pops up (not opens) with just the latch opening. If the bumpers are adjusted out too far, you may need to push down to get the latch to release. If they have just enough pressure, the trunk will spring up a bit when the latch releases.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

mutant littleman
2GN Member

Post by mutant littleman » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:12 pm

Ok well an update on this, I took a further look into it this past weekend and after taking it completely apart and checking out all the parts.
I have determined that the result of the spoiler being on is not allowing it to "pop" I removed it just for shits and giggles to see if thats what it was and damned if after closing it and hitting the button it popped up.

Now being as it is a stock spoiler I would have thought this shouldn't be an issue. So now is the big question do I remove it and plug the holes so water doesn't get it, its still winter after all. Or keep the spoiler on, side note I'm in the works to get a cf trunk so I may keep it on until I get the new one and say piss on the spoiler.

wierd
-Andrew

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:31 pm

Have you tried adjusting the springs to the other holes?
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

mutant littleman
2GN Member

Post by mutant littleman » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:50 pm

Yeah I've moved them into a couple spots and they still don't let it pop open. I'm stumped on this one.
-Andrew

Return to “Exterior”