RobsProjectSOHC Build (strut assembly help)

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:54 am

Hell ya man, it's looking good :thumbup: heads up I got a spare white faced cluster with tach...unknown mileage.....if ya consider swapping one in. Can't wait to see this build come together. Ya gotta love a blue skittle. lol
MY PROJECT LOG My Old 2002 ES AND My 2003 SXT

It is not that we cannot be friends, it's that you are a zombie, and I am almost out of ammo. -Someone

RobsProjectSOHC
2012 Gold Contributor

(Thats what she said) <---inside joke.

Post by RobsProjectSOHC » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:00 pm

What an awesome weekend. A friend and I went to Hornell NY (5hr trip) to meet Dave (dtjackten) who offered to build the top half of the engine. I love every bit of the upgrades.....it moves now, lol.

x-SOHC Head P&P with Magnum valves and springs
x-Magnum Intake Manifold (PnP Setup)
x-Crane #12
x-Adjustable Cam Gear
x-Water pump & Timing Belt Kit
x-U.D.P

We forgot the camera so i just took pics off the cell.

If you do not have RT manifold, get one.
Thanks again dave, it was great meeting you...very kind person to do business with. Will be up again for sure....oh ya, hope your enjoying the ps3, lol.
Project 003. Just building a Daily Driver with some upgrades.
For Sale Thread | CarDomain | FeedBack
Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon until it dies Club" Member #119

dtjackten
2GN Member

Post by dtjackten » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:00 pm

it was a great weekend. glad you are enjoying the car. and keep in touch. lmk what you decide on your next plans!!! :)
304whp and 285 ft lbs.... 15psi.
*on the way to 400whp*
dave

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:19 pm

Nice to see it up and running again, and dtjacken id be interested in the same help if it wasn't more like a 13hr trip for me lol. Rob, I was actually planning on a mag head/crane 12 combo. How does the the low end up to 3700 feel? with my stock 02 ES cam and head, I feel like all the power is up around 3500-5700ish. I hear the 12 is meant for upper rpm range but, as a DD how is the low end on that cam? Thanks for any advice and great work, keep it up! :thumbup:

It is not that we cannot be friends, it's that you are a zombie, and I am almost out of ammo. -Someone

RobsProjectSOHC
2012 Gold Contributor

Post by RobsProjectSOHC » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:28 pm

Honestly, I cant tell you. I dont have a tachometer. I thought the one I had would work on my car but it was the wrong one, my mistake :P. BUT!, for the ride - I have gained some serious hp, it just climbs and doesnt stop. Ontop of that, gained gas mileage....when im not trying to listen to the baffles opening up, lol. The ride is very smooth, i climb hills alot easier now without having to shift out of gears. Once i get a tach ill take vids.

Also, thanks to dave, I got these. 13hrs is a good trip, lol. 5 was pretty easy, made it home in 4. =X. Rain gaurds

Edit: I need rims.

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:39 pm

Sweet man! that's very reassuring \:D/ . I think I will have to do the same setup. Like I said, I got a spare working cluster with tach out of an 02. Don't know what the mileage is but I could check. It's exactly like the one in my car and with 6 blue wide angle LEDs it looks sweet! If you have an interest shoot me a pm Ill let ya have it cheap. YOU NEED A TACH lol. Rims would be the shit, I hear ya there on mine as well :tardbang: but overall it's coming together nicely :thumbup:

dvon17
2GN Member

Post by dvon17 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:32 am

Clearly I need new friends lmao... Glad to hear another Neon is being "done up" right lol
2003 SRT-4 :D

:glasses4:
NEON PARABOLA wrote:you deserve respect dammit! you drive a neon!
"Cause even though you left me here, I have nothing left to fear. These are only walls that hold me here..."

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:45 pm

Agreed,..

Rob, I might be noobin out here but, what exactly is a "nemo head"? I ask because I was under the assumption it was a magnum head but was unsure as to whether there was some significant difference. Thank you sir.
:rockon:

dtjackten
2GN Member

Post by dtjackten » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:02 pm

ventvisors look good rob. :thumbup:

also i think that cam/mag intake was almost a perfect match. it seemed to pull nice at about 3kish. give or take. and top end was just a contant nice pull.

rob when you get a tach lmk. and i can help you hook it up via phone/pm. :)
*on the way to 400whp*
dave

RobsProjectSOHC
2012 Gold Contributor

Post by RobsProjectSOHC » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:36 pm

@D-Railed: Apparently a member from this forum use to port and polish heads. His name must of been nemo, but thats all i really know. There is magnum valves and springs inside, was very clean and runs nice. Honestly im kinda waiting for some one to know tell me, lol.

@dvon: thanks man, this forum has helped me out alot. Definitely got lucky finding a mechanic on here close.

@dtjackten: Today was the first day i didnt rev out a gear just to hear the baffles open. Its addicting at first, but its all good. lol. It makes the car fun to drive again for sure and also gained very good gas mileage out of it. I'll prolly message ya on this tach in a couple days. Payday tomorrow

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:16 pm

Makes a whole lot more sense. thank you sir, also the vent visors look good!

RobsProjectSOHC
2012 Gold Contributor

Post by RobsProjectSOHC » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:53 pm

was cleaning the room up and saw the valve cover i got some time ago. Was waiting for it not to be false advertising, so.....here it is.

Payday tomorrow and im going to check on cameras. Not bad for flash on my phone though ^

dvon17
2GN Member

Post by dvon17 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:03 am

RobsProjectSOHC wrote:
@dvon: thanks man, this forum has helped me out alot. Definitely got lucky finding a mechanic on here close.
...I wish I could :roll: My manager at AutoZone says he's a :quotes: mechanic :quotes: and he even agreed to assist with my timing belt/water pump replacement (I'm ridiculously nervous about it) but every time I bring it up, he gets quiet...

I told him to just clear out his garage for a day and I'll do the shit myself lol

"Cause even though you left me here, I have nothing left to fear. These are only walls that hold me here..."

RobsProjectSOHC
2012 Gold Contributor

Post by RobsProjectSOHC » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:50 pm

After seeing Dave work on the car, i feel more confident on taking apart some of the engine. Seeing where everything goes helps, lol. Headers soon.

Edit: Had a question, but answer'd myself. Thank you.

dvon17
2GN Member

Post by dvon17 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:16 am

RobsProjectSOHC wrote:After seeing Dave work on the car, i feel more confident on taking apart some of the engine. Seeing where everything goes helps, lol. Headers soon.

Edit: Had a question, but answer'd myself. Thank you.

Well, I haven't had a chance to see ANYONE take a motor apart so I'm nervous as shit. I don't wanna mess my car up haha.

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:39 am

As rob found and u will to, the 2.0 sohc is one of the easiest motors to work on imho. Either way, I cant wait to get my magnum build together after seeing how robs turned out.

RobsProjectSOHC
2012 Gold Contributor

Post by RobsProjectSOHC » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:02 am

Dont get me wrong, i couldnt do it as fast as he did.....take me couple days / week to his 1 and a quarter of a day. lol, but!...they do seem easy if you know your way around.

You will love the magnum set up, makes the car fun to drive. Im really missing some exhaust though. After that i want to dyno to see where i am at, continue the build.

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:42 am

I'm hoping so. keep us updated sir!

dvon17
2GN Member

Post by dvon17 » Sat May 12, 2012 7:41 am

anything new yet?

get to posting! lol

RobsProjectSOHC
2012 Gold Contributor

Post by RobsProjectSOHC » Sat May 12, 2012 12:56 pm

Oh trust me, I want to get some car parts going. I have to pay 325$ for driver assessment program and since it was out of no where it goes good with me car payments. So, gunna be June 1st is hopefully when i get rubber for the rims. Cant wait to get them on!

As soon as I get some more work done, ill post. Right now its work work work.

dvon17
2GN Member

Post by dvon17 » Sat May 12, 2012 11:17 pm

RobsProjectSOHC wrote:Oh trust me, I want to get some car parts going. I have to pay 325$ for driver assessment program and since it was out of no where it goes good with me car payments. So, gunna be June 1st is hopefully when i get rubber for the rims. Cant wait to get them on!

Ha. I got hit with the same shit man... I'm paying them $50 a month though.

Screw them haha.

RobsProjectSOHC
2012 Gold Contributor

Post by RobsProjectSOHC » Mon May 28, 2012 10:09 pm

Finally back at the computer, since I had a good week business trip, if you want to call it that. Any who, ever since I've done the battery relocation in the trunk, I've been having problems. Cluster would jump to full and stop every quarter type thing till back to zero. I use butt connectors and that didn't work. Wasn't expecting to fix but at least run better. Nothing. By now I'm asking people for a jump at the gas station when I turn it off, other than that I leave my car on. It would turn on most the time, but those moments your sitting there saying "not here.....not here" its say's here.

Soder'd it, bought distributor blocks, nothing. Bought a new battery with more crank power 550 compared to stock 525, starts like a dream. No cluster jump, weight lifted off the shoulders. DieHard battery for 75$. Sears hooked me up, lol.

Oh ya, 2 more days until the headers are here.
Hopefully getting blue led lights for the new instrument cluster. Pics soon.

Can anyone tell me a good brand of tires for 16's, need to be awesome it wet weather (not afraid paying extra), and would be corner friendly?

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Tue May 29, 2012 1:48 am

WOOT! good to see your making some progress :thumbup: after your log, I had to get ahold of Dave and will soon be a proud magnum head owner myself :) Keep up the good work and can't wait to see that new cluster installed in your car. :rockon:

RobsProjectSOHC
2012 Gold Contributor

Post by RobsProjectSOHC » Tue May 29, 2012 10:54 am

Niiice, you will love the improvements. Just feels like a stronger engine, lol. Plus Dave is a good guy to work with....hell, hes gunna do my turbo work.lol.

dtjackten
2GN Member

Post by dtjackten » Tue May 29, 2012 12:01 pm

RobsProjectSOHC wrote:Niiice, you will love the improvements. Just feels like a stronger engine, lol. Plus Dave is a good guy to work with....hell, hes gunna do my turbo work.lol.
this ^

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

glad you have a good battery now rob :thumbup:
*on the way to 400whp*
dave

RobsProjectSOHC
2012 Gold Contributor

Post by RobsProjectSOHC » Tue May 29, 2012 1:13 pm

dtjackten wrote:
RobsProjectSOHC wrote:Niiice, you will love the improvements. Just feels like a stronger engine, lol. Plus Dave is a good guy to work with....hell, hes gunna do my turbo work.lol.
this ^

I say that because you didnt give me a choice. you even said "I have to do the turbo on this car"..lol. I cant wait.

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Tue May 29, 2012 1:35 pm

did some one say boost? :twisted: Me gusta boost!

dtjackten
2GN Member

Post by dtjackten » Tue May 29, 2012 7:08 pm

RobsProjectSOHC wrote:
dtjackten wrote:
this ^

I say that because you didnt give me a choice. you even said "I have to do the turbo on this car"..lol. I cant wait.

lol, sad to say... but this is also true. :rofl:
*on the way to 400whp*
dave

RobsProjectSOHC
2012 Gold Contributor

Post by RobsProjectSOHC » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:53 pm

RobsProjectSOHC wrote:I have to pay 325$ for driver assessment program and since it was out of no where it goes good with me car payments. So, gunna be June 1st is hopefully when i get rubber for the rims. Cant wait to get them on!

Well after doing some good hours with a stressful week, I had to find out how to chill and I did. Needed a reminder of where my happiness is....When this damn project is done, lol.
Thanks again r34:

Alright, so now for the parts....as some of you might of saw in other post, I received my header, and a few days later my high flow catalytic converter.

Tomorrow my friend is lending me a dremel tool. Going to buy a carbide bit and do some work on the header, really just want to smooth it out rather than porting it out crazy. Then friends going to do the welds for me and ill put it on. Cant wait for that.....also!!!!!!!!! 15th is pay day for tires. Rims will be going on very soon. After that, car meet with dave to swap some parts. RT cluster and RT skirts. Good month this is, just a waiting game.
Last edited by RobsProjectSOHC on Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XxWhiteNeonxX
2GN Member

Post by XxWhiteNeonxX » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:55 pm

ebay ftw! :D

Its " header " btw
Haganracing wrote: Love you Cody, even if you fail in life <3
Leighvi424 wrote:omg cody i think u gave me a woodie :P
2004 dodge neon-300whp and counting

Return to “Progress/Project Log”