2001 Neon Question...

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
Peeka
n00b

2001 Neon Question...

Post by Peeka » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:26 am

So recently I bought a 2001 Neon. While I was happy with it, when I took it to goodyear to get the oil changed, they told me to take my car back to they guy I bought it from. I paid this dude in cash, i doubt he still has the money.

Good year said there was oil in the intake manifold and it would cost me some where near $7000USD to fix it AND that my car would never pass smog in the condition it's in.

I live in California, so our smog rules are a bit stricter. I took my car to a mechanic that is going to run the same tests Goodyear did and take apart my engine to see if it will be something minor.

Upon looking this issue up, it seems to be a common one. What do I need to do to fix this. I really like my car and seeing that the dude I bought it from is largely unavailable after buying it from him, I'm thinking the best I can do is try to get this fixed. I think 7000 dollars is a bit much though.

NEON PARABOLA
2GN Member

Post by NEON PARABOLA » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:55 am

I would replace the pcv valve 1st.....thats a 5.00 part.....
-Sean
Official "I'm driving my neon till' it dies #28

BLK 03' NEON SXT 150,000 MILES

NyNeon0813
2GN Member

Post by NyNeon0813 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:07 pm

Yea its most likely "blow by". Oil blown through the pcv valve. Take the manifold off, clean it out replace the pcv and get a catch can.. Hopefully that'll solve it!

'01 PEON - '01 R/T head swap.. Bolt ons & ksports

***tUrBo CoMiNg SoOn***

ThatKevin
2GN Member

Post by ThatKevin » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:08 pm

I'm sure w/e it is wouldn't be $7k

you can do an entire srt4 swap and still have leftover cash with that..
'02 Chrysler Neon RT - SOHC 50trim+Crane 007 ---DEAD---
'05 Dodge Neon SRT4 - DSP & bolt ons ---SOLD---
'08 Dodge Caliber SRT4 - MS1Kv3
Progress Log

NEON PARABOLA
2GN Member

Post by NEON PARABOLA » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:11 pm

...post up the info for this...goodyear.... So we all know where NOT to go
-Sean

NyNeon0813
2GN Member

Post by NyNeon0813 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:35 pm

^ this place def doesn't kno what they r talking about!

'01 PEON - '01 R/T head swap.. Bolt ons & ksports

***tUrBo CoMiNg SoOn***

NEON PARABOLA
2GN Member

Post by NEON PARABOLA » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:38 pm

^ or they feel like taking the OP for a ride because they think he/she doesnt know anything about cars.
-Sean

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:11 pm

:rofl:

Every 2gn neon made has oil in the manifold as factory equipped.

The only way it would fail emissions from it, would be if they did a WOT run at a high enough rpm to suck some of the puddle of oil up into the intake runners.

Even with a catch can, my IM has an oily film in it. there is no possible way to remove 100% of the oil vapor coming from the PCV to the IM.

It is part of the whole purpose of the PVC, to remove the water/oil/combustion byproducts from the crankcase, and burn them in the combustion process.

The problem with the 2gn 2.0 is the valve cover doesn't do the best to separate the oil getting splashed against it, and the PCV pulls a lot of air out. Reducing flow, and a decent catch can will help keep the oil from accumulating into a pond at the bottom of your IM. Will it still be oily to the touch? Yep.

But why was Goodyear even looking inside the IM? (If they did at all) It is pretty common knowledge about the oil so they prolly just threw that out there to try to scare you into spending far more than the car is worth.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Peeka
n00b

Post by Peeka » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:26 pm

That is what I figured. I just heard back from my second opinion, and he said there was nothing wrong with my car other than it needs a new battery. After getting these responses about the pcv, he said that he would check that out to make sure everything is alright with that.

I'm pretty happy, and glad I came to this forum. It has saved me a lot of time and heart ache. My previous car was a 1998 Neon, I just love how they seem to have hardly any problems and they are pretty gutsy. Thanks everyone.

The goodyear is the one located in placerville.

Is there anything I should do before I take my car in to get smoged?
Last edited by Peeka on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stdlystdmufn
2GN Member

Post by stdlystdmufn » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:27 pm

$7000? holy crap! you could buy a new long block from a dealer and have them install it for that!!! yea start with the $5 part
in the middle of a DOHC and MTX swap and going with an ASP kit pwered by the S259 batmowheel

Peeka
n00b

Post by Peeka » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:29 pm

And to add, I really do not know much about cars. I replaced an alternator once, and helped my dad put on a timing belt. I understand how a combustion engine works but not down to every last part and its purpose. I really appreciate all the help here.

Eventually, given time to figure it all out I would like to get some body mods done and maybe some additional work on my neon. However, that really isn't a strong point for me to do myself, haha, so getting it to pass smog is probably the most important thing before I delve into other areas. This forum has me really excited about the things I might be able to do with my car.

stdlystdmufn
2GN Member

Post by stdlystdmufn » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:35 pm

all you need to replace the pcv is a new PCV, a neon, and an adjustable wrench.

step1: remove hose from PCV
step2: unscrew PCV valve (in the driver's side middle of the valve cover)
step2: HAND THREAD new pcv into the valve cover
step3: tighten to snug with the adjustable wrench(no more than a 1/4 turn!!!)
step4: put the breather hose back on the PCV
step5: drive car.
in the middle of a DOHC and MTX swap and going with an ASP kit pwered by the S259 batmowheel

Peeka
n00b

Post by Peeka » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:41 pm

Thank you for the instructions. Do you have a preferred place I should get my pcv at?

stdlystdmufn
2GN Member

Post by stdlystdmufn » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:48 pm

doesn't matter ive used OEM and autozone parts. for the price though i would probably just buy it from a dealer or an online dodge dealer if you don't want to talk to wierd parts guys(that was for OD and Dante)

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:01 am

Ha, I have never been employed as a parts person. :lol:

As far as passing smog, if the check engine light (CEL) isn't lit up, chances are pretty good it will pass.

That is if it does work, like when you turn the key on, but don't start it.

You can check for codes yourself, by keying on three times in 5 seconds, leaving the key on. Codes will be displayed on the odometer.

P1684 is a battery code. If the battery has been disconnected within the last 50 starts...

Not sure how picky they are on that one, as long as all the monitors are set. 1684 never goes away on mine. I guess I might be screwed if I ever had to have it checked. :lol: But then it doesn't affect emissions.

To be safe, if you have the battery replaced, have a memory saver plugged in, so the PCM is not reset. If the kind that plugs into the lighter socket is used, the key will need to be on for it to work. I would be leery of swapping batteries with the key on.

A better way would be to hook a battery charger to the lugs on the PDC and to ground, at the left headlight ground point.

If the battery is disconnected, it can take a while on some cars to set all the emissions monitors. If they are not set and ready, they will fail you.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

stdlystdmufn
2GN Member

Post by stdlystdmufn » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:22 am

occasional demons wrote:Ha, I have never been employed as a parts person. :lol:
man i thought you were :owned: ...oh well i know dante is he works at the dealership where i bought my car (i still have the manassas dodge subaru sticker on it :D)

Peeka
n00b

Post by Peeka » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:51 am

Oh wow, I did not know that about the battery. If worse case happens and the thing gets reset, is there anything I can do to get the emissions to start logging?

Also, no check engine light at all. No lights have come on and the car starts fine... when the battery isn't dead. I can't figure out what is going on there really, I thought it might be the alternator because I had a bad one on a previous car and always needed to jump it.

I did find something odd. When looking for the thing to adjust the steering wheel in the dark I found a button under the steering wheel. Apparently, someone at some time installed one of those button things you press to start the car instead of using a key. No idea why my neon would have one of those. I suspect it could be draining the battery... but I am not sure.

stdlystdmufn
2GN Member

Post by stdlystdmufn » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:22 am

yea either go to autozone and have a free electrical system test or you can check alt voltage at idle with a voltmeter for that issue

Peeka
n00b

Post by Peeka » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:28 pm

I just got off the phone with a dodge dealership here to see if they could do the oil change and the guy i spoke to didn't seem to know about the oil in the intake. I get the feeling if I take it there they are going to try to get me to spend a crap load of money on things my car doesn't need.

NEON PARABOLA
2GN Member

Post by NEON PARABOLA » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:26 pm

thats why the words "No thankyou" are your friend :)
-Sean

stdlystdmufn
2GN Member

Post by stdlystdmufn » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:30 pm

Peeka wrote:I just got off the phone with a dodge dealership here to see if they could do the oil change and the guy i spoke to didn't seem to know about the oil in the intake. I get the feeling if I take it there they are going to try to get me to spend a crap load of money on things my car doesn't need.
the guy you spoke to was a service advisor. they are not techs (and i've discovered generally not even interested in cars) so they wouldn't know. also they won't diagnose your car without you bringing it in cus there is no money in that. just tell them you want to replace the PCV and please feel free to say no to anything they try and sell you.

EDIT: also DO NOT have them diagnose the oil in your intake, because they will charge you at least a 1/2 hour labor and just sell you a pcv anyway. (please trust me i work at a chrysler dealer)

silverneontuner
2GN Member

Post by silverneontuner » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:55 pm

stdlystdmufn wrote:$7000? holy crap! you could buy a new long block from a dealer and have them install it for that!!! yea start with the $5 part
lols could buy two maybe 3 neons

Return to “Engine”