Slight Teaser and continuous update....

Got a question on outside appearance modifications. Questions about body kits, exterior lighting, just anything thats a visual mod on the "exterior" of the car. Ask those questions here.
jmoddes
2GN Member

Slight Teaser and continuous update....

Post by jmoddes » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:03 pm

I'm making custom taillights using 100mm and 80mm tail lights.

also created my own arrows for turn signals :)

These are all links to the pictures, i'm not going to make this a SUPER BIG thread

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13391412/Oznium ... .14.09.jpg

The image above is not the finished... just a slight example of finished :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13391412/Oznium ... .12.10.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13391412/Oznium ... .21.01.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13391412/Oznium ... .44.33.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13391412/Oznium ... .44.46.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13391412/Oznium ... .45.27.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13391412/Oznium ... .45.34.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13391412/Oznium ... .45.40.jpg

thoughts comments concerns?
-jmoddes (@gmail)
00 Neon
65 Classic

Car\Facebook\My Lights

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:36 pm

Hrm. A standard arrow seems kinda plain, don'tcha think?

jmoddes
2GN Member

Post by jmoddes » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:26 am

It would be lovely if I could have it sync left to right to turn right, right to left to turn left... but to do that will take a tremendous amount of labor hours funds for the product and programming the product on top of ensuring it will sync with the car properly. so as plain as it may be, it's a hell of a lot better than a lot of other people's who just buy ebay stuff. at least there is some value to this ya know?

I will say, Kornholio's taillights are the most badass custom neon taillights i've seen in person. I know mine will be NOTHING like this.. but i'm experimenting with a few products thus I came up with this last minute idea. :)

thank you for the thoughts though. any ideas to make the arrow better minus the mustang look?
-jmoddes (@gmail)
00 Neon
65 Classic

Car\Facebook\My Lights

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:44 am

Honestly, I think if you took out the neck of the arrow and just left the point ( '<' and '>' ) it'd look much less...cartoony. Just my opinion though, since I'm not even sure how they tie into the taillights. Maybe it flows better, but I just can't imagine it.

Johny
2GN Member

Post by Johny » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:43 am

JeffM wrote:Honestly, I think if you took out the neck of the arrow and just left the point ( '<' and '>' ) it'd look much less...cartoony. Just my opinion though, since I'm not even sure how they tie into the taillights. Maybe it flows better, but I just can't imagine it.
I agree with Jeff, not a fan of the full arrow but nice work anyways :thumbup:
www.JohnyR.net - Web development

jmoddes
2GN Member

Post by jmoddes » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:28 pm

JeffM wrote:Honestly, I think if you took out the neck of the arrow and just left the point ( '<' and '>' ) it'd look much less...cartoony. Just my opinion though, since I'm not even sure how they tie into the taillights. Maybe it flows better, but I just can't imagine it.

see that makes a bit more sense than before.

i just came up with maybe a design similar to this...

->->-> instead of what i have ---->

then every " > " there would be lights. having a 3 point.. instead of just one.
Johny wrote: nice work anyways :thumbup:
Thank you

one light should be fully done tonight, now i have to go and buy another light from the junk yard, rip it apart then put them within both housings and seal them back up :D i say my monday they'll be on my car ( i hope )
-jmoddes (@gmail)
00 Neon
65 Classic

Car\Facebook\My Lights

Jenni
2GN Member

Post by Jenni » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:48 pm

Why is the Arrowhead not lighted? Looks kinda stupid!

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:38 pm

jmoddes wrote:->->-> instead of what i have ---->
That could be interesting. How big is the arrow in relation to the taillight? Because, from the pictures, it looks huge and I just can't even imagine how it fits in there....

(that's what she said) :lol:

jmoddes
2GN Member

Post by jmoddes » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:13 pm

Jenni wrote:Why is the Arrowhead not lighted? Looks kinda stupid!
:bootyshake: Troller. It will be lite when i turn left or right. :ranting: :thebirdman:
JeffM wrote:
jmoddes wrote:->->-> instead of what i have ---->
That could be interesting. How big is the arrow in relation to the taillight? Because, from the pictures, it looks huge and I just can't even imagine how it fits in there....

(that's what she said) :lol:

lol that's what i said... good one..smart ass.haha

i'm awaiting drop box to upload the pics and i'll get the links. :D

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13391412/Oznium ... .02.16.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13391412/Oznium ... .04.33.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13391412/Oznium ... .07.43.jpg

when the JBWELD stuff dries.. i'll be able to put the arrow on, then tomorrow stick it to the taillight. Will be taping it in place as the weld dries. :)
-jmoddes (@gmail)
00 Neon
65 Classic

Car\Facebook\My Lights

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:56 pm

jmoddes wrote:
:bootyshake: Troller. It will be lite when i turn left or right. :ranting: :thebirdman:
Jenni isn't a troll, he is German :lol: He is using a translator program to post most of the time and not everything comes across perfectly.

I think what he is asking is why you didn't extend the lights all the way to the tip of the arrow.
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:33 pm

jmoddes wrote:Image
Ah, ok. This makes more sense in my mind now.

bobneon2k
2GN Member

Post by bobneon2k » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:19 am

I get the simplicity of the design because I am a firm believer that people are all basically idiots and need their hand held and even the biggest idiot should be able to understand a bright blinking arrow.

From a cosmetic point I do think a different design may look nicer as simplicity does take away from the cool factor. would it be possible for you to lesser than / more than symbols ( < > ) in sets of 3 which blink in turn. I.E. for a right turn it would blink left most greater than sign, middle greater than sign, right most greater than sign. ( The left turn would be less than sign in right most, middle, left most.)

this is just a thought. I do not know what would actually be possible without becoming a design nightmare. (maybe the < / > symbols in sets of 3 blinking simultaneously?... again just a thought.)
BOBNEON2K
2K Hunter Green ES MTX

Jenni
2GN Member

Post by Jenni » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:27 am

Danteneon wrote:
jmoddes wrote:
Jenni isn't a troll, he is German :lol: He is using a translator program to post most of the time and not everything comes across perfectly.

I think what he is asking is why you didn't extend the lights all the way to the tip of the arrow.
Hihi, no, not anymore. I use a dictionanary every now and then but to talk about cars my english is good enough.

There is no LED in the arrowhead, in the tip, so it is not lighted and the arrow is not spikey!

And the taillight lense will not make it better!

NGCnoproblem
2GN Member

Post by NGCnoproblem » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:49 am

I'm curious to c how these turn out. Keep it up
Sorry for Party Rockin

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:14 am

Carten's (Jenni) grammar is better than most of the natural English speaking members we have. :lol:
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:44 am

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:50 am

Jenni wrote:Hihi, no, not anymore. I use a dictionanary every now and then but to talk about cars my english is good enough.
I stand corrected. I was basing that off a post I remember you making around 2007/2008 (yikes!). I shouldn't have assumed that was still the case.

Sorry about that! :oops:
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

jmoddes
2GN Member

Post by jmoddes » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:01 am

The arrow was a last second Idea i came up with as I wanted a separate light for the turn signal. The only thing that sucks is well.... i had NO clue what do to.. So i drew up a plan with an arrow and measured out a possible measurements using the LED's that i did...

when i had it cut, it worked [perfectly.

The 3 arrow thing is cool and in a way wish I would have done that, but i'm more than content with the original arrow. That way it's not to Euro Style.

to answer the question on why leds not all the way up, I need to basically use jbweld on the arrow and back of the big ring to keep it there. This not going all the way up. And the wiring to this was a fallback decision. After I get off of work today (6pm cdt) i will put together the entire piece (of 3 units) and putting them into the tail light :)

I too am curious and it will decide if I so the second tail light and put it on the car or not.

Truly had no original intentions of using these myself.. but more I got into it, the more I wanted to try it.
-jmoddes (@gmail)
00 Neon
65 Classic

Car\Facebook\My Lights

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:36 am

occasional demons wrote:Carten's (Jenni) grammar is better than most of the native English speaking members we have. :lol:
:withstupid: ... :laughing3: :laughing3:
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

jmoddes
2GN Member

Post by jmoddes » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:44 pm

No lens
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13391412/Oznium ... .09.27.jpg
Lens
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13391412/Oznium ... .10.40.jpg
How i'll be driving with the parking lights on...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13391412/Oznium ... .11.24.jpg
How it looks from a bad angle (not happiest arrow direction but w.e.)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13391412/Oznium ... .11.24.jpg
how it will look with brake lights applied
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13391412/Oznium ... .21.09.jpg
Brake lights and right turn signal applied
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13391412/Oznium ... .23.03.jpg
another angle / close up
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13391412/Oznium ... .23.14.jpg

Overall reallllly disappointed with as much time i spent on that arrow how you can't even see it.. but it's w.e. I guess :/ still worth it in the end.
-jmoddes (@gmail)
00 Neon
65 Classic

Car\Facebook\My Lights

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:20 pm

Well, you learned something from it at least. I feel like it needs something...more. Right now it reminds me of when I start working on photochops; just outlines. Needs some more depth, and obviously a different design for that turn signal.

jmoddes
2GN Member

Post by jmoddes » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:33 pm

Here is the thing.. that turn signal would look AWESOME if it were against the lens like the halo's are.

I didn't realize that the "5.5 mm" made THAT much of a difference. but it did.

i'm still really stoked about these and i want them done to see how they actually look on the car. the hardest thing will be matching up the arrows to look identical to each other... now this arrow is slightly down compared to how i wanted it, the other one has to be the same :/ no worries.

What i really did like about this entire thing the red rings really show the parking/brake lights. the white arrow looks pretty amber through the red lens in person. I don't really see it on camera but in person it looks pretty dam amber. :)
-jmoddes (@gmail)
00 Neon
65 Classic

Car\Facebook\My Lights

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:35 pm

Can you bend the arrow to fit the curve of the lense? Or is that not possible?

jmoddes
2GN Member

Post by jmoddes » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:44 pm

so its in... problem.....i SWORE that there was a way where the turn signal would be SEPARATE from my brake lights. my arrow turns on with the brake light. The right side I have it wired to the Brown/Red wire.

ideas?!? :/
-jmoddes (@gmail)
00 Neon
65 Classic

Car\Facebook\My Lights

jmoddes
2GN Member

Post by jmoddes » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:54 pm

i lied... i figured it all out from a thread from like 05 (thanks korn for the heads up)
SlvrACR wrote:OK, the main problem with the Euros is they have a separate bulb holder for the turns only, our US cars don't and seem to have turn signal, brake light all running through one wire. On your new Euros you'll have three bulb holders, one for main taillights and brake light, a small one for the reverse light, and a separate one for the turns. The turns and main light holders both use the 3157 bulb and are the same. They both have three wire input on them. You will only use two for the turns.

On the LEFT (Drivers) side of your US plug there should be three wires: BLK (ground) BLK/YL (taillight output) and GRN/RD (turn brake)
Cut the GRN/RD wire, leave about an inch or two of wire hanging on the original plug. (You'll see why later) Attach the GRN/RD wire that you just cut to one of the wire inputs on the back of the turn signal bulb holder. (You may have to unwrap some of the wire bundle that the GRN/RD wire is in to get it to reach) Now you need to run a ground to the turn signal plug. I just tap/spliced into the one (BLK) from the original plug and ran the wire to one of the inputs on the turn signal plug.

On the RIGHT (Passenger) side the wires will be the same color except instead of GRN/RD one will be BRN/RD. Do exactly what you did on the other side only use the BRN/RD wire instead.

OK, now for the fun part. Under you steering column cover is a multifunction switch (one of many, mine was on top of the column) Connector pin-out on the one you want to look for should be, Pin 1) WT/TN. 2) LG (light green, left turn signal) 3) RD/WT. 4)GRN/RD (left tail that you cut) 5) BRN/RD (right tail that you cut) 6) TN (tan, right turn signal) These are the first six pins for a twenty pin connector (this is what it was on my 2k, I have no idea if it's different on the 2k+ a FSM would be your best bet)

Once you find the switch and wires you want, cut the GRN/RD and tap/splice it into the LG (light green) wire, this will provide you with your left turn signal to the tails. (DO NOT CUT THE LIGHT GREEN WIRE)
Cut the BRN/RD wire and tap/Splice it into the TN (Tan) wire, this will provide you with the right turn signal to the tails (DO NOT CUT THE TAN WIRE)

Now you have working turns and tail light but no brake lights. Find where the third brake light comes into the trunk (was on the left side by the back seat on mine) Tap/splice two wire off the WT/TN wire and run one each to your two rear taillights. Connect these two wires (one each) to the GRN/RD (left) and BRN/RD (right) wire that you cut earlier (remember when I said to leave an inch or two?) Now you have brake lights, no need to run a ground as there is already one on the original plug. Rewrap all wires, cap all ends. (multifunction switch) You now have working Euros. I have it done this way as do a few members on here. I have had zero problems and they are still VERY bright

now the question is.. i need resistors since i'm not using the bulb... anyone know which resistor. Mi fashhaa said a pack... i say huh?
-jmoddes (@gmail)
00 Neon
65 Classic

Car\Facebook\My Lights

Return to “Exterior”