05 Neon Sxt going N/A

Welcome to 2GN.org... Tell us a little bit about yourself and your car if you'd like.
ShanesNGC
2GN Member

05 Neon Sxt going N/A

Post by ShanesNGC » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:19 pm

Whats up guys, My name is Shane.. and August of last year I got my first car.. a 2005 ATX Neon.
I was into car audio for a good 2 months, got myself some kicker 12's and some door speakers and rolled around while my friends would tell me my car sounded nice.
One day my friend rolled up next to me in his Audi A4 (190whp), did his honk count and we went at it, unfortunately.. I got a good look at his license plate (Obviously).. and from that day on I started opening up my hood a lot more.
I started to do my research.. and I saw that power didn't come cheap and the more money I had the more power I would get. As a 16 year old kid with a 450 dollar paycheck every 2 weeks I kept saving and saving until I came to a conclusion.. I'm going to go completely N/A and squeeze the last pony out of my car.
I'm going to do both outside cosmetics, interior, and under the hood changes.. while trying to keep from the {rice] category.. Here's my car now..

If you guys have any suggestions.. I'm more than open to suggestions, ideas.. even criticism.. I'm in no way mechanic.. Just a kid with a wrench.. open mind.. and a sense for learning.[/img]

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:33 pm

Good luck. You'll easily spend the same, if not more, on N/A than forced induction for significantly less power and gains. You wouldn't be satisfied. Being an NGC vehicle AND automatic, you've got a very rough base with which to start.

Do some reading on here about PCMs, years, swaps, etc. . . Take your time and save your money for the right stuff. I personally enjoy slow boredom so I have a simple factory 2.0 5-speed with a lip kit, shiny wheels, and significantly lowered, but then again I milk MPGs.

The car will be what you make of it, but don't get too excited for power because you'll quickly be disappointed and poor.
el. oh. el.

ShanesNGC
2GN Member

Post by ShanesNGC » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:41 pm

FAC3L3SS wrote:Good luck. You'll easily spend the same, if not more, on N/A than forced induction for significantly less power and gains. You wouldn't be satisfied. Being an NGC vehicle AND automatic, you've got a very rough base with which to start.

Do some reading on here about PCMs, years, swaps, etc. . . Take your time and save your money for the right stuff. I personally enjoy slow boredom so I have a simple factory 2.0 5-speed with a lip kit, shiny wheels, and significantly lowered, but then again I milk MPGs.

The car will be what you make of it, but don't get too excited for power because you'll quickly be disappointed and poor.
Appreciate the honesty and advice, and ideas on the peak I could reach on this car without a swap or boost? I want to set a goal, but don't know anything reasonable considering its an NGC and ATX.

ThatKevin
2GN Member

Post by ThatKevin » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:42 pm

Glad to see you made it over here, welcome!

My comments from your post on Neons.org remains the same. Also, most of the "mods" you were talking about would be considered "rice." Then again, 99% of all mods are considered rice by someone :shock: :thumbup:

edit*
ShanesNGC wrote:Appreciate the honesty and advice, and ideas on the peak I could reach on this car without a swap or boost? I want to set a goal, but don't know anything reasonable considering its an NGC and ATX.
As mentioned above, and what I posted in your other thread. Lowered, lip kit, intake, exhaust, lightweight rims, and maybe some decent audio equipment. This will all make for a nice looking, fun to daily, somewhat affordable car.

There was a member on here who bought an 01 RT, that had a fully built head, bolt ons, and run by megasquirt who pushed 170whp (approximately, can't remember exacts). The money spent on it could have done two SRT4 swaps.
Last edited by ThatKevin on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'02 Chrysler Neon RT - SOHC 50trim+Crane 007 ---DEAD---
'05 Dodge Neon SRT4 - DSP & bolt ons ---SOLD---
'08 Dodge Caliber SRT4 - MS1Kv3
Progress Log

ShanesNGC
2GN Member

Post by ShanesNGC » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:47 pm

ThatKevin wrote:Glad to see you made it over here, welcome!

My comments from your post on Neons.org remains the same. Also, most of the "mods" you were talking about would be considered "rice." Then again, 99% of all mods are considered rice by someone :shock: :thumbup:
Ya, I started reading on here.. this fit me so well. I took my day off and turned it into a study session.. Been researching since 10 this morning.. and I realize half the stuff I was saying on the other .org was completely out of this world.
ThatKevin wrote:There was a member on here who bought an 01 RT, that had a fully built head, bolt ons, and run by megasquirt who pushed 170whp (approximately, can't remember exacts). The money spent on it could have done two SRT4 swaps.
Edit: And I'de love to do a swap.. But I have no knowledge of how to do one.. where to get the parts.. anything. I had a little frustration just putting in a CAI.
Last edited by ShanesNGC on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ThatKevin
2GN Member

Post by ThatKevin » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:49 pm

bump for edit in previous post :rofl:

ShanesNGC wrote: Ya, I started reading on here.. this fit me so well. I took my day off and turned it into a study session.. Been researching since 10 this morning.. and I realize half the stuff I was saying on the other .org was completely out of this world.
just read and read and read, also try to make it out to as many meets, talk to as many people. It's amazing the amount of shit you can learn.
'02 Chrysler Neon RT - SOHC 50trim+Crane 007 ---DEAD---
'05 Dodge Neon SRT4 - DSP & bolt ons ---SOLD---
'08 Dodge Caliber SRT4 - MS1Kv3
Progress Log

RobsProjectSOHC
2012 Gold Contributor

Post by RobsProjectSOHC » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:58 pm

Is this your daily driver?
Last edited by RobsProjectSOHC on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Project 003. Just building a Daily Driver with some upgrades.
For Sale Thread | CarDomain | FeedBack
Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon until it dies Club" Member #119

ShanesNGC
2GN Member

Post by ShanesNGC » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:00 pm

RobsProjectSOHC wrote:Is this your daily driver?
Yes, it is my DD, which makes EVERYTHING 2x if not 3x harder. As I said, I'm a 16 yr old with 1 car that happened to unfortunately get sucked into the performance hobby.

RobsProjectSOHC
2012 Gold Contributor

Post by RobsProjectSOHC » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:05 pm

Its hard to do n/a work on a vehicle you depend to go to work on. If you want power to beat your friends, save up for a srt4 motor swap. Will be worth it in the end, patience is the key. For now, i would get short throw shifter, cold air intake (50$ on ebay), and performance coil pack/wires. Should make the car little more fun to drive and run smoother, but if you want power...srt4 motor.

ShanesNGC
2GN Member

Post by ShanesNGC » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:14 pm

RobsProjectSOHC wrote:Its hard to do n/a work on a vehicle you depend to go to work on. If you want power to beat your friends, save up for a srt4 motor swap. Will be worth it in the end, patience is the key. For now, i would get short throw shifter, cold air intake (50$ on ebay), and performance coil pack/wires. Should make the car little more fun to drive and run smoother, but if you want power...srt4 motor.
Trust me, swapping to a SRT motor would put me straight in Heaven.. But I have no knowledge on swapping an engine.. or even swapping to an MTX. I'm no mechanic.. As I said before.. Just a CAI gave me frustration. I have a buddy who has his own shop that has the equipment for a swap.. but no knowledge on a SRT swap either. I wouldnt even know where to start for a swap, if I did.. I'd be sitting on 2.4 Turbo as we speak.

RobsProjectSOHC
2012 Gold Contributor

Post by RobsProjectSOHC » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:22 pm

if they dont know how to srt swap, prolly shouldnt have them mess with your engine for na.

Best bet, save your money.....do you see yourself driving the neon for life? If not, due note your not gunna get the money you put in it back.

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:25 pm

It used to be a big question "can I make 160HP N/A" and long answer short, nope. As Kevin said the money spent for MS, motor work, etc. . . surpasses that of a swap and downtime is probably more.

Don't worry about being in a giant rush to swap. The cars are only getting cheaper and cheaper and wrecked more and more. Go to meets and shows, read, message people, and be patient. I learn new stuff about the car every day and I've had one since I was 16. Compile a ton of knowledge, it comes in handy in daily talk with the mid 20s secretaries who drive these too haha.
el. oh. el.

ShanesNGC
2GN Member

Post by ShanesNGC » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:34 pm

FAC3L3SS wrote:It used to be a big question "can I make 160HP N/A" and long answer short, nope. As Kevin said the money spent for MS, motor work, etc. . . surpasses that of a swap and downtime is probably more.

Don't worry about being in a giant rush to swap. The cars are only getting cheaper and cheaper and wrecked more and more. Go to meets and shows, read, message people, and be patient. I learn new stuff about the car every day and I've had one since I was 16. Compile a ton of knowledge, it comes in handy in daily talk with the mid 20s secretaries who drive these too haha.
I've even considering just buying an SRT4.. But doing so.. I would have to sell my Current DD.. Leaving me with no car for the time that I look for a decent priced SRT.

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:37 pm

A fair amount of people on here go that route, but its cheaper to keep your (presumed paid-off) 2.0 and find an SRT to have for fun. I know even if I went to finance anything it'll cost me nothing to keep my beater Neon.

Hell, I know a guy on here to daily drives a stage 3 SRT and garages his SRT-swapped SXT that's basically a stock swap / motor. That's obviously not the order he bought them, but you get the idea.
el. oh. el.

ShanesNGC
2GN Member

Post by ShanesNGC » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:44 pm

FAC3L3SS wrote:A fair amount of people on here go that route, but its cheaper to keep your (presumed paid-off) 2.0 and find an SRT to have for fun. I know even if I went to finance anything it'll cost me nothing to keep my beater Neon.

Hell, I know a guy on here to daily drives a stage 3 SRT and garages his SRT-swapped SXT that's basically a stock swap / motor. That's obviously not the order he bought them, but you get the idea.
Ya, makes sense. Another problem I run into is.. hard to find an SRT4 thats decently priced for the miles it has on it.. especially in my area. I could go to a dealer.. get ripped off on price and pay payments.. with both high insurance (Srt4's are ridiculous) and the rip off payments.. I'd have just enough money at the end of the month to buy myself a nice candy bar.

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:50 pm

If that! Don't forget running premium gas instead of 87. Call me cheap, but better gas mileage, cheaper insurance, and cheaper gas are pluses. I don't crave power or speed though. I'm a granny shifter at my prime.

SRTs get abused and "built" and stripped back down. Low mileage and unmolested and people want $12+. Moderate to high mileage with some mods and they can be seen for $5k. They're a mixed bag and you've got to know what you're looking for.

My advice: stick to your plan. Add some things you'll enjoy on the car and will enhance the driving experience. Some wheels and a drop always help. Assuming you go off to college, you'll need a dependable DD that you won't flip when it get dinged in crowded parking lots and unloading groceries. Take advantage of that platform you do have both financially and time-wise.
el. oh. el.

ShanesNGC
2GN Member

Post by ShanesNGC » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:56 pm

FAC3L3SS wrote:If that! Don't forget running premium gas instead of 87. Call me cheap, but better gas mileage, cheaper insurance, and cheaper gas are pluses. I don't crave power or speed though. I'm a granny shifter at my prime.

SRTs get abused and "built" and stripped back down. Low mileage and unmolested and people want $12+. Moderate to high mileage with some mods and they can be seen for $5k. They're a mixed bag and you've got to know what you're looking for.

My advice: stick to your plan. Add some things you'll enjoy on the car and will enhance the driving experience. Some wheels and a drop always help. Assuming you go off to college, you'll need a dependable DD that you won't flip when it get dinged in crowded parking lots and unloading groceries. Take advantage of that platform you do have both financially and time-wise.
Appreciate the advice.. as I appreciate everything that has been said. I have taken into consideration EVERYTHING that has been said on this post. I want to thank everybody for giving me advice/reality on the car I have.. Hope to see you guys around.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:29 pm

FAC3L3SS wrote: Hell, I know a guy on here to daily drives a stage 3 SRT and garages his SRT-swapped SXT that's basically a stock swap / motor. That's obviously not the order he bought them, but you get the idea.
Fo real?? Sounds like I have a lot in common with that guy :-k

I was in your shoes. Got an 03 ATX sxt and started with exterior stuff first. lip kit, srt hood, molded pvo spoiler/trunk, coils, wheels etc. I came across an SRT donor for $1500 and completely rebuilt the engine last winter as it had a bad rod bearing and 2 bad valves. I did the full swap and as Adam alluded to, it's my baby and sits in the garage.

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:02 pm

I ain't even mad.
el. oh. el.

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”