good and cheap HID?

Got a question on outside appearance modifications. Questions about body kits, exterior lighting, just anything thats a visual mod on the "exterior" of the car. Ask those questions here.
SBopp
2GN Member

good and cheap HID?

Post by SBopp » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:07 pm

Is there a good HID kit for under $100 dollars anywhere?
also can i use my stock headlights as they are?

nerox
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by nerox » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:02 am

stock headlights are not a good idea, so i'm lead to believe.

you can get a cheap kit off eBay for about $75 or less and seem to be ok
Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon until it dies" Club Member UK#1

Adam G
2GN Member

Post by Adam G » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:35 pm

i put some hids I got off a member on here local in stock 04 headlights that were plug and play and they works awesome
Adam

04 eblue srt4 - shes getting there
97 white ram
81 white camaro z28

owned 11 neons so far and growing

Jenni
2GN Member

Post by Jenni » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:07 am

mini morimoto
wasn't that the name of those very small bi-xenon projectors that fit into stock headlight reflectors?
try that.

03sxt
Former Jr. Admin

Post by 03sxt » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:34 pm

DDM Tuning.

bobneon2k
2GN Member

Post by bobneon2k » Tue May 14, 2013 12:28 am

Look up xentec hid's on ebay. a couple of guys I know use them religiously. they're only $32 for the low beam only set up and about twice that for the lo / hi beam set up. even if they go a new set is cheaper than buying the replacement bulbs. my friends have never had a problem with them. thinking of buying them myself
BOBNEON2K
2K Hunter Green ES MTX

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Fri May 17, 2013 9:38 pm

Please oh please oh please, for the love of all that is sanity, don't put HIDs in the fucking stock headlights. Our reflectors are not meant for that type of light, and as such, you will not only have a horrible spread, but will piss off everyone around you, and possibly get a ticket depending on your area's laws.

If you want a better bulb, I believe Sylvania Silverstars are the recommended choice (someone correct me). If you want HIDs, put them in a projector, because that's were they are meant to be.

akirony
2GN Member

Post by akirony » Fri May 17, 2013 10:48 pm

JeffM wrote:Please oh please oh please, for the love of all that is sanity, don't put HIDs in the fucking stock headlights. Our reflectors are not meant for that type of light, and as such, you will not only have a horrible spread, but will piss off everyone around you, and possibly get a ticket depending on your area's laws.

If you want a better bulb, I believe Sylvania Silverstars are the recommended choice (someone correct me). If you want HIDs, put them in a projector, because that's were they are meant to be.
:withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid:
Have car-have car problems. Have srt4-have speed problems

red2k2rt
2GN Member

Post by red2k2rt » Sun May 19, 2013 11:40 pm

JeffM wrote:Please oh please oh please, for the love of all that is sanity, don't put HIDs in the fucking stock headlights. Our reflectors are not meant for that type of light, and as such, you will not only have a horrible spread, but will piss off everyone around you, and possibly get a ticket depending on your area's laws.

The reality is that the likelyhood of anyone actually getting a ticket for hid's in halogen reflectors is almost slim to none. they are looking more for people with illegal tints, undercar lights, purple headlights, and yellow headlights. the most they would pull anyone over for with hids that are in the 5000k to 7000k range is them being aimed to high. not to mention those that are smart about how they use the hids in the stock reflectors on any car also know to aim the lights down a bit to keep the glare to a minimum. as to those sylvania silverstars you mentioned. i have a burned mfs switch and plug to prove those lights are not supposed to be put on the stock wiring without some type of relay set up. i ended up having to replace my mfs and plug as a result of using those pos lights and then put a relay on the headlights to keep the load off the plug. so with that being said considering the cost of a new mfs and plug and those 60 dollar silverstars the hids are a better option for those with limited funds. thinking your going to actually piss anyone off for having hids in the stock housing is pretty out in left field considering the people that actually blind you with their stock headlights tend to be suv's and trucks due to the height of their headlights in relation to your mirrors and windows and jackasses that drive around with their high beams on.

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Mon May 20, 2013 9:31 am

So much wrong in here...
red2k2rt wrote:not to mention those that are smart about how they use the hids in the stock reflectors on any car also know to aim the lights down a bit to keep the glare to a minimum.
There is nothing you can do to fix the glare. Aiming them down just moves the glare down. It is still there.
red2k2rt wrote:as to those sylvania silverstars you mentioned. i have a burned mfs switch and plug to prove those lights are not supposed to be put on the stock wiring without some type of relay set up. i ended up having to replace my mfs and plug as a result of using those pos lights and then put a relay on the headlights to keep the load off the plug.
The Sliverstars did not melt your MFS connector. Chrysler did that when they designed the system.
red2k2rt wrote:The reality is that the likelyhood of anyone actually getting a ticket for hid's in halogen reflectors is almost slim to none.
You may not know this, but adding HIDs into cars that were not equipped with them (even if a full retrofit is done) makes the headlamps illegal in all 50 states since they are no longer DOT approved. Will you get a ticket? Depends on the officer. Can you get a ticket? Yes.
red2k2rt wrote:thinking your going to actually piss anyone off for having hids in the stock housing is pretty out in left field considering the people that actually blind you with their stock headlights tend to be suv's and trucks due to the height of their headlights in relation to your mirrors and windows and jackasses that drive around with their high beams on.
While making sure your headlamps are aimed properly is very important, you must understand that putting HID bulbs into a reflector housing designed for a halogen bulb is wrong for you and those driving around you. We have discussed this quite a lot over the years, but this post on another forum puts it together perfectly.

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/20-ext ... there.html

So in short, don't do HIDs unless you are getting at least some kind of projector lamp.
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

blueneo03
2GN Member

Post by blueneo03 » Mon May 20, 2013 10:20 am

^^^^^ Yes please i hate it when people put them in halogen housings... especially trucks because they are already shining in my eyes they are just 100X worse now with the hids.

I personally have used silverstar ultras and never melted a MFS... dont know what you did differently but they work fine and give me a legal light upgrade in the stock housing.

OP: please just if you get hids pair them with projectors for the sake of your fellow motorists..

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxtSold
2017 Volkswagen CC Rline Exec. 2.0t

"Sorry you are so scared of a possible mechanical problem that you will drive an ugly transportation appliance. I'll keep living a colorful life." -some guy about a camry

red2k2rt
2GN Member

Post by red2k2rt » Tue May 21, 2013 2:14 pm

red2k2rt wrote:not to mention those that are smart about how they use the hids in the stock reflectors on any car also know to aim the lights down a bit to keep the glare to a minimum.
There is nothing you can do to fix the glare. Aiming them down just moves the glare down. It is still there.
yes it is still there but if you can do anything to minimize you reduce the chances of affecting another drivers view. then again there are more people with out of aim halogen headlights than there are people using hid's in regular headlights.
red2k2rt wrote:as to those sylvania silverstars you mentioned. i have a burned mfs switch and plug to prove those lights are not supposed to be put on the stock wiring without some type of relay set up. i ended up having to replace my mfs and plug as a result of using those pos lights and then put a relay on the headlights to keep the load off the plug.
The Sliverstars did not melt your MFS connector. Chrysler did that when they designed the system.
they may have designed a shitty system but there is no question the silverstars draw more power than the stock halogen headlights which takes that shitty system and causes a fire hazard. so yes adding the silverstars to my stock wiring caused it to overheat at the mfs and melt the plug and switch.
red2k2rt wrote:The reality is that the likelyhood of anyone actually getting a ticket for hid's in halogen reflectors is almost slim to none.
You may not know this, but adding HIDs into cars that were not equipped with them (even if a full retrofit is done) makes the headlamps illegal in all 50 states since they are no longer DOT approved. Will you get a ticket? Depends on the officer. Can you get a ticket? Yes.
yes they are illegal, i have never disputed that fact. but since most cops care more about tinted windows, excessively loud stereo systems, excessively loud exhausts, and street racing than headlights the chances of them bugging you about your headlights is severly slim unless you actually piss the cop off and they go over your car with a fine toothed comb. i know plenty of cops and half that shit they could care less about. they care more about real crimes than someones headlights. its a waste of paperwork. the only time your headlights can ever be an issue is if the glare off your headlights caused an accident, but if the glare is that bad off your headlights then you did a shit job of aiming them imo.
red2k2rt wrote:thinking your going to actually piss anyone off for having hids in the stock housing is pretty out in left field considering the people that actually blind you with their stock headlights tend to be suv's and trucks due to the height of their headlights in relation to your mirrors and windows and jackasses that drive around with their high beams on.
While making sure your headlamps are aimed properly is very important, you must understand that putting HID bulbs into a reflector housing designed for a halogen bulb is wrong for you and those driving around you. We have discussed this quite a lot over the years, but this post on another forum puts it together perfectly.

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/20-ext ... there.html

So in short, don't do HIDs unless you are getting at least some kind of projector lamp.
yes i know how the light arc is not conducive to how a halogen reflector is set up. thats why only certain cars got hid headlights in a non-projector set up and the rest got projectors. at least in my case if i wasnt getting married in less than 6 months and actually had the money to get brand new headlights then i'd be attempting the quad projector set up that was done on srt forums. i personally have the bixenon 6000k hids in my regular headlights, i have for the last 2.5 years, but they are so oxidized it doesnt really make much of a difference. at the point mine are at using halogens would just be like driving around with my parking lights on. the headlight deoxidation kits can only do so much for 11 year old headlights.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue May 21, 2013 2:28 pm

the headlight deoxidation kits can only do so much for 11 year old headlights
Wet sand and Quality clear coat works, and lasts far longer than any kit.

I have almost 4 years on the 93 Sundance's re-do and 3 years on the '96 neon's lights,and they still look like new.

And it cost far less than any of the kits out there.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

red2k2rt
2GN Member

Post by red2k2rt » Wed May 22, 2013 11:10 am

occasional demons wrote:
the headlight deoxidation kits can only do so much for 11 year old headlights
Wet sand and Quality clear coat works, and lasts far longer than any kit.

I have almost 4 years on the 93 Sundance's re-do and 3 years on the '96 neon's lights,and they still look like new.

And it cost far less than any of the kits out there.
i plan to replace mine anyways with the projector lights sometime this summer. to lazy at this point to do anything more with my lights.

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Fri May 24, 2013 4:59 pm

I've been away for a few days so I'm not gonna quote all the posts. Here's the thing, red2krt: you can do this however you want but, when push comes to shove, a projected HID will outperform a reflected HID any day. In visibility, sharpness, and clarity all while being more legal. Not to mention you won't have to point your lights at the ground in order to not blind people.

You can't blame the Silverstars for blowing your MFS. Their amp draw is well within range of the MFS's capabilites.

Skitlz
2GN Member

Post by Skitlz » Fri May 24, 2013 8:44 pm

I use Silverstars and I've never had to replace my MFS.
-Scott

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #135 (2005 SE)

red2k2rt
2GN Member

Post by red2k2rt » Sun May 26, 2013 11:14 pm

JeffM wrote:I've been away for a few days so I'm not gonna quote all the posts. Here's the thing, red2krt: you can do this however you want but, when push comes to shove, a projected HID will outperform a reflected HID any day. In visibility, sharpness, and clarity all while being more legal. Not to mention you won't have to point your lights at the ground in order to not blind people.

You can't blame the Silverstars for blowing your MFS. Their amp draw is well within range of the MFS's capabilites.
correct and i already stated i planned to do this over the summer at some point with projectors, i never argued against them vs using them in a halogen reflector. i said already i used mine in a halogen reflector, and they were a major improvement over the silverstars set up i had with relays and them running off the battery. i had the bixenon set up in order to keep my high beam and i used a 6000k kit. this was almost 2.5 years ago roughly. and honestly i can use 3 fingers to count the number of times i was flashed for my lights in that time span, and i had them on the high beam setting at that time. yes they are bright, but when properly aligned down the glare is not nearly as bad as most make it out to be. now with that being said would i have gone a different route if i had known about retro kits at that time and had the money to do so? yes of course. the only reason i even considered these were because i saw my buddy had them in his subaru and how much better he could see the road at night and i was tired of having barely any visible light on the roadway. though ironically enough his lights were actually brighter than mine so he probably had a 55w kit while i only have the 35w kit. now as to the silverstars regardless of what you or anyone else thinks, yes they did blow my mfs. it doesnt matter whether you think they are rated properly for the cars or not, the reality is this actually happened to my car and as a result i had to rewire a whole new plug for the switch as well. i saw the trail of smoke coming out from my dash and saw my low beams stop working after putting these bulbs in the car. maybe i should have created a daily video blog from the time i put them in the car to the time the smoking started but unfortunately i think i still had a crappy nextel at the time that took shitty pictures.

Return to “Exterior”