20 PIN MFS connector

Questions about AMPs, headunits, speakers, subs, security systems, ect... Anything to do with audio or security, those questions all go here.
tippythop
n00b

20 PIN MFS connector

Post by tippythop » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:37 pm

Hey, I had a quick question. I have seen so many neons with these damned 20 pin MFS connectors burnt and break and become so brittle they'd fall apart. I have an 05' neon sxt that has fogs, and before I found the issue with the plug I attempted to replace the whole turn signal stock to see what the issue was with why my fog lights would not turn off. During night driving they are on all the time and there is no way to turn them off UNLESS I literally PUSH the fog switch in towards the steering column, the indicator light says they are off and they do go off but when I let off the pressure it goes right back on. From what I know you're suppose to pull the knob out to turn them on correct? As a last resort I also pulled a plug off another neon from a junkyard but the stupid plug on the other car has the same burnt issue in the area of pins 9 and 19-20. I looked online and there is a repair kit but that is way expensive but who's to say that that one doesn't develop the same issue? Just looking for some answers.

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:13 pm

This is a common problem that has or will affect every second gen Neon. The only thing that varies is how melted the connector (and switch) gets based on use.

The repair kit, while expensive, is the only way to repair the connector. The only way to prevent this from happening is to put a relay into the headlamp circuit to take the load off the headlamp switch and harness.
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

Themaggots
2GN Member

Post by Themaggots » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:29 pm

Your fog switch plastic system is used. That's why you have to press the button for them to stay off. There's a how-to, by Gnuesrup IIRC, with the solution to that problem on this forum. It's more or less a frequent problem.

As for the burnt connector, that's a very common problem and has probably been the cause of some car burning down.

There's an inexpensive alternative to the repair kit that involves a small trip to the junkyard to find door connectors (Thanks again, Gnuserup). They're the same as the MFS connectors.

Fixing the connector will not fix the overheating issue. The easiest way would be to get a relay harness for the lowbeams and one for the fogs.
Jimmy

tippythop
n00b

Post by tippythop » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:45 pm

Well see unless I have really bad luck I have actually bought 3 total turn signal stocks from the junkyard and they all do the same thing so it seems like it might be the plug.

tippythop
n00b

Post by tippythop » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:55 pm

Do you know where I could get a few of these relay harnesses at?

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:01 pm

thx so far Themaggots -

here´s the thread

viewtopic.php?t=53122

and the other

viewtopic.php?t=24658
a neon - what else ?

tippythop
n00b

Post by tippythop » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:10 pm

I wish the damn MFS plug didn't cost so much brand new carquest told me they can still order it just special order. Seems like every junkyard I hit has a burnt out connector and I can't for the life of me find a neon with that same plug in the door jamb boot for the door wiring.

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:34 pm

?? I´m sure every 2nd-gen Neon will have this plug within the A-Pillar (at least every neon I had).

Maybe the NGC and SRT have the plugs and sockets reversed, but anyway - they should have them same way.
a neon - what else ?

tippythop
n00b

Post by tippythop » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:16 am

I looked in two 2000-2002 neons at a JY and looked behind the boots and followed the wires, no MFS plug though. However I believe thes may have been plymouth neons.

Themaggots
2GN Member

Post by Themaggots » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:50 am

Same thing (Plymouth, Dodge or Chrysler Neon.)

You pull the boot at the door, take a flat head screwdriver, remove the connectors from the body and seperate the female connector from the male one.

I've got 1 that I could ship you but I'm in Canada so the post office may take a while.
Jimmy

tippythop
n00b

Post by tippythop » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:33 am

That would be cool if you could, I just can't seem to find that damn plug still I went out again to see if I could find it but no go. If you want to I get paid tonight, and could pay you through paypal just to pay for a little bit of the shipping cost if its gonna cost a little bit.

Return to “Audio / Security / Electrical”