Possibly bad wheel bearings?

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power using different springs, upgrading to coilovers, questions on swaybars, bushings, different rotors, pads, ect... Having any steering problems or questions about steering racks, tie rods, tie rod ends, ect... ask these questions here.
illriginalized
2GN Member

Possibly bad wheel bearings?

Post by illriginalized » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:27 pm

My vehicle just started to make this loud (in the cabin) sound.. I'm not sure if it's the wheel bearings or possibly CV Joint (the end that attaches to the transmission). When I stick my head out the window while driving, I can't hear anything like what I hear down below where my feet are.

It sounds like it's coming from the front driver side wheel.. but I only question that it's the CV because the sound is more pronounced by my feet possibly coming from where it attaches to the transmission.

What do you guys think?:
SoundCloud link: http://snd.sc/1a5B5S9

I would have posted up youtube.. but too lazy to convert to video then upload to youtube.

If you're not familiar with sound cloud, you click the orange play button on the upper left hand corner

Edit: Also if it is in fact the wheel bearings, if I take this to a mechanic.. how much am I looking at for just labor? <_<;

I saw what it takes to replace the front wheel bearings and I don't have the tools for this project.

illriginalized
2GN Member

Post by illriginalized » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:21 pm

Bump!

wickedgood4684
2GN Member

Post by wickedgood4684 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:26 pm

Does the nose lessen or almost go away when you turn left or right?

And what you saw about "What it takes" isn't very accurate. They make on the car FWD wheel bearing presses so you can replace the wheel bearing without removing the knuckle.

http://www.harborfreight.com/fwd-front- ... 66829.html

20% off coupon
http://www.harborfreight.com/affiliate1 ... &hftref=cj

I acutally have this kit in my posession now too and I will be replacing my front wheel bearings on my 1gn coupe beginning of next week.
SRT-4 Challenge series
Season 1 Champion: gotheframe/tim and corey
Season 2 Champion: Greasydeuce/Dmonday
NTCC
Winter Series:
Drivers Chamion: Neon Nick/Squat BIG
Team Champions: Team Acura: miniMench & wicked221
Rookie of the year: Patriot 01/xxPATRIOT 01xx

jrumann59
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by jrumann59 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:28 pm

Wheel bearings may present as a grinding sometimes confused with brake issues because it sounds like the pad is dragging on the rotor.
bone-yard-racing wrote:
Remind him of two things for the mustang:
Slow in=Fast out
Fast in=Ambulance out
ImageImage

illriginalized
2GN Member

Post by illriginalized » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:42 pm

jrumann59 wrote:Wheel bearings may present as a grinding sometimes confused with brake issues because it sounds like the pad is dragging on the rotor.
It feels like my tire is rubbing on the fender shield. I can feel the vibration on my gas pedal.

I checked for any sort of wear/tear around the fender (even though there's plenty of clearance) and on the tire (inner/outer sides).. I can't find anything.

Does the CV shaft ever cause a similar type of feeling/sound?
wickedgood4684 wrote:Does the nose lessen or almost go away when you turn left or right?
No, in fact today I was trying to see if I could manipulate it by swerving left and right.. but the vibration/grinding sound and feeling was constant.

And thank you for the link.. I'll see if I can find some tutorials on how to use the tool.. if it's easy enough I guess I could make it a simple Saturday project. I'm personally hoping it's something else.. but I never heard this sound nor felt this type of vibration.. so I can't properly diagnose it.

I've heard wheel bearings go bad on trucks.. and normally it's a very loud hollow type of sound. So it could be the same but since the wheels are smaller the sound isn't as pronounced.

Also the sound/vibration kicks in at around 30MPH and above. And it only gets more loud when I release the gas pedal and let it decelerate naturally (without applying brakes) from 70MPH down to 50MPH.

illriginalized
2GN Member

Post by illriginalized » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:49 pm

Was the wheel bearings after all. Had my mechanic replace it + the struts and springs in the front end for $300

wickedgood4684
2GN Member

Post by wickedgood4684 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:30 am

Awesome! Glad you got it resolved. I'm going to be replacing my wheel bearings this afternoon.
SRT-4 Challenge series
Season 1 Champion: gotheframe/tim and corey
Season 2 Champion: Greasydeuce/Dmonday
NTCC
Winter Series:
Drivers Chamion: Neon Nick/Squat BIG
Team Champions: Team Acura: miniMench & wicked221
Rookie of the year: Patriot 01/xxPATRIOT 01xx

Return to “Suspension, Steering & Brakes”