key wont turn, tumblers worn out, how to replace?

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
cgneon
2GN Member

key wont turn, tumblers worn out, how to replace?

Post by cgneon » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:43 pm

so, tumblers i guess are worn out, has happened before, and slamming the key in seemed to unstick it, but now i think its done. was fine this morning, went to drive it just now and key wont turn, wiggled the steering wheel while trying to unstick it, now that is locked,

i see the tumbler and key on rockauto for 45$...

but how do i remove the current one. i took off the bottom of the column, and there is a little yellow tab but it doesnt do anything. i think the key has to be in the run or acces position to remove, but it wont move. tried banging it with a screwdriver, tried lubing it...

i dont mind having 2 sets of keys one for door, one for ignition, i know i can setup the new tumbler to match the current one, depends on my mood. ive never even used the keys on the door before, so i dont mind having 2 keys.. its on 01 neon and does not have the programmed grey key.

help?
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000082

wickedgood4684
2GN Member

Post by wickedgood4684 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:39 pm

your right it needs to be in the run position to be removed.

(on the tumbler to the right) there is a grey triangular tab sticking out on the left side. when its install in the car the key needs to be turned to the run position and then the tab needs to be pressed in, and the tumbler can be pulled out.

Once it is out you leave the key in. You will notice when you turn the key in the tumbler how 2 pins are pressed down when the assembly rotates. So what you have to do is press both pins down and rotate the assembly with the key the opposite way you normally turn it ( like when its in the car and you just want the radio). Once you turn it back far enough the assemble with the key in it will pull out from the outer casing. (you can remove the key from the assembly)

Now you will notice 10(iirc) little tabs sticking out. 5 on each side. take these out one by one(WATCH OUT FOR THE LITTLE SPRINGS, DON'T LOSE THEM!!!) There is a number on each one. write it down in order by side and put it back in the tumbler.

Now with the new tumbler take it apart the same way with the key provided. The new tumbler should have came with a bunch or replacement tabs. So now you have to match up the number code you created with the tabs. So slowly pull each one out one by one and replace it with the appropriate NEW tab according to the code you took from the old tumbler.

Now put the outer casing back over the tumbler assembly, take your old key and put it in the tumbler and rotate it back to position. If you did it correctly you have successfully re-keyed your new tumbler to your old key.
SRT-4 Challenge series
Season 1 Champion: gotheframe/tim and corey
Season 2 Champion: Greasydeuce/Dmonday
NTCC
Winter Series:
Drivers Chamion: Neon Nick/Squat BIG
Team Champions: Team Acura: miniMench & wicked221
Rookie of the year: Patriot 01/xxPATRIOT 01xx

cgneon
2GN Member

Post by cgneon » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:37 pm

thanks for the info, ordered the replacement lock this morning, but what do i do if i cannot get it to the run position.. i have been trying for a few hours, and nothing, smacked with a hammer, etc. do i need to hammer a screwdriver in and force it to turn with vicegrips? i dont care about having a diff set of keys for ignition as i use the keyfob for the door anyway.. getting a new car soon, but need to drive this for a few more months.

MichNeon
2GN Member

Post by MichNeon » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:43 am

Do you have a second key that has not been used much or at all? If you do, try it in the key cylinder. I'm thinking that the key you use is worn, as well as the tumblers. A key in better condition might move the tumblers enough to get the cylinder to turn. Don't force the cylinder to turn, you might wind up breaking the column casing around the key cylinder assembly.
2004 R/T, DD
1995 Sport Sedan (The Frog), Given to my brother.
30 year Chrysler Tech.

cgneon
2GN Member

Post by cgneon » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:25 am

yes have tried both keys

gtxtreme19
2010 Silver Contributor

Post by gtxtreme19 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:39 am

In my 00 I had the pull the key out of the ignition just a fuzzy before it would turn. Its like that in my 99 now too.
-Mike
Midnight_Rider wrote:
Skitlz wrote:Gramps, get a GPS.
Gramps Prefers Streetmaps. :D

cgneon
2GN Member

Post by cgneon » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:04 pm

update, went and got a new key made that was solid metal, instead of the rubber grip, got some PB blaster from work, and a quick smack with some vice grips it finally freed up, so i got it pulled and undid the battery cables until i get the new part...

probably just gonna use the new keys, and not even mess with swapping the pins around to use older worn keys.. gettin a new car soon anyway

thanks for all the info posted above.

caustic neon
2GN Member

Post by caustic neon » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:43 am

fyi from now on keep thew keys on your key ring to a minimum, heavy keys will wear out the lock cylinder on our cars, i always keep a spare after it happned to me. lol
Bacon is a Vegetable

Neons owned
2003 Dodge SXT (MAGGIE) = Dead X 3
1997 Dodge Highline DOHC coupe = Sold
1996 Dodge sedan (Baby) SOHC = Sold
1996 Dodge espresso coupe SOHC (Stella) = Dead
1998 Plymouth ACR------- more to come

fixitmattman
2GN Member

Post by fixitmattman » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:39 pm

meh, I just kept using the key after it did that to me. It wore out enough that it starts the car but I can straight out remove it from the cylinder in the run position. Came in handy in the winter warming the car up :p
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/fixitmattman
How to fix your car:
1. Buy a Haynes manual
2. Read Haynes maual
3. Read and search appropriate threads, trust us, it's been covered before
4. Fix car
5. Consume beer of job well done

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:45 pm

fixitmattman wrote: Came in handy in the winter warming the car up :p
This.

Works great for running into the convenience store too. As touchy as the clutch is, even if someone got into it, they would probably stall it out, and be dumbfounded looking for the start button, while I bludgeon them.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”