Need help. Car dead on side of freeway!

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
Knyte
n00b

Need help. Car dead on side of freeway!

Post by Knyte » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:28 am

So, about an hour ago, I am on my way to work. Driving on the freeway normally, going 70MPH (The speed limit), cars is running fine. Then out of nowhere the check engine light comes on and the engine is just dead. I coast off the to the side and kick on my hazards. I try to restart the car, and the starter engages and turns, but nothing else happens. Not hearing the car try to start. (No "Rerr-Rerr-Rerr" sounds or anything.)

I get out and inspect what I can. It's 11:30PM, middle of nowhere, pitch black. I got my cellphone light app to work with. No smoke of any kind coming from the car. Nothing leaking. Engine looks normal. All power systems seem to be fine. (Hazards work, radio works, lights work. No dimming, nothing.)

Any ideas?

The only thing I can think of, would be the coil pack dying? Would that make sense? No spark, no running engine?

I got a ride from a buddy to work, where I am now, and will get back to the car in the AM. (Work Graveyard shift.) I am mulling it over in my head and trying to figure out what is wrong. So, I turn to the experts here on the Forums to offer some ideas.

Thanks!

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:29 am

How many miles?

Did you key on three times within 5 seconds and check the odometer for codes? Just to on, not cranking.

Hopefully it did not break the timing belt. A P0340 would be a good indicator of that.

viewtopic.php?t=365
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

timk225
2GN Member

Post by timk225 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:00 am

Fuel pump.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:05 am

We may never know.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Knyte
n00b

Post by Knyte » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:45 am

Sorry. Didn't get back in awhile.

Broke the timing belt!

So, got it towed home. Putting the car in gear and pushing, I do not hear any metal on metal when the crank turns, so I do not believe the valves are damaged.

Do you guys think it is worth tearing down and trying to save, by throwing in a new belt, or not?

Here what I saw when I took off the panel behind the passenger side front wheel:

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:49 am

are you doing the work or a shop, makes a big difference if its worth it or not.

in parts alone its going to be around 350$ thats if you buy a used head off someone not rebuilding your existing one. at that speed i guarantee some valves got bent. you arent going to hear anything rotating the engine. only way to definitively tell is to take the rockers out and do a leakdown test.
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:48 am

r/tguy02 wrote:at that speed i guarantee some valves got bent. you arent going to hear anything rotating the engine. only way to definitively tell is to take the rockers out and do a leakdown test.
this. either have your head rebuilt, rebuild another one, or buy a used/remain one and move on.

Knyte
n00b

Post by Knyte » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:30 am

Thanks guys.

Honestly, its not worth the time or money. So, I guess its off to the big Neon parking lot in the sky.

A@ron
2GN Member

Post by A@ron » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:47 am

Maybe try to sell it on the forum? If you were closer to me and the body was in good shape I'd pay certainly more than scrap value.

Return to “Engine”