OEM Mopar manually retractable antenna on eBay

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:27 pm

Anything but a 5 star rating reflects badly on them, and is held against them. Kind of stupid, but it's how they work it. If you give them 4 stars, you may just as well give them 1.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:44 pm

Well, it didn't seem right to give him positive feedback due to how things have turned out- this is why I chose to be neutral. I'm not angry with the seller or anything like that, just disappointed that I don't have the antenna. Maybe I should have just skipped giving him feedback for this item. :banghead:
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:38 am

Well, at most until the case is resolved.

I usually wait to give feed back until things are settled. Giving positive feed back beforehand doesn't help your case, if the issue is not settled in a timely manner, or to your satisfaction.

Unfortunately, it cannot be revised.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:43 am

occasional demons wrote:I usually wait to give feed back until things are settled.
And this is what I did for both the cable and the antenna- positive for the cable and neutral for the antenna.

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:30 pm

Midnight_Rider wrote:Here is the positive (?) eBay feedback the seller gave me: "Glaube Ihm kein Wort -als Käufer gesperrt,!" Jenni or thomas_w: the bing.com translator says that this is "Belief him not a Word as buyers locked!" but would someone please give me a real German-to-English translation? If the literal translation is true, he certainly isn't cutting me any slack, especially when I gave him neutral feedback ("Item not received- seller chose shipping without tracking number. eBay refunded."). :whymewhyme:
Yes, the translation is not too bad: "Do not believe any word he says - buyer locked"

So yes, he is not cutting you any slack indeed. Seems like a pretty aggressive response to me.
Last edited by thomas_w on Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:32 am

I was hoping to order more items from him in the future but doubt that he would do business with me since he feels that way (here is what he wrote to me on January 10th: "Today I shipped your antenna – I think 5 to 8 workingdays you must calculate. Allmost all Items I have, are in my Ebayshop. When you have a need please ask. I have conections to different other vendors in Europe."). Guess that I'll have to find another source for BUX parts. :banghead:

Jenni
2GN Member

Post by Jenni » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:49 am

Not that positive feedback!
Hmm you don't know any German guys to buy parts for you?
*hinthint*

I guess I should ask the dealer for some prices...

And Gnuserup should check his yard for antenna bases.

So you have the base now but are still waiting for the antenna?

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:54 am

This is mildly off-topic, but where are the BUX parts manufactured?
el. oh. el.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:58 am

Jenni wrote:Hmm you don't know any German guys to buy parts for you?
*hinthint*

I guess I should ask the dealer for some prices...

And Gnuserup should check his yard for antenna bases.

So you have the base now but are still waiting for the antenna?
Oh, I knew that you would be able to help me- remember me PM'ing you about this a few weeks back? :thumbup: Yes, I have the cable that goes inside of the fender, just need the antenna.
FAC3L3SS wrote:This is mildly off-topic, but where are the BUX parts manufactured?
I guess that it would depend on the part. The base that I bought from the seller in Germany was made in the USA.

Jenni
2GN Member

Post by Jenni » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:04 pm

Yeah I remember. Now that you say... :lol:

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:03 pm

I guess in us it is the same thing for sellers to be only able to leave positive feedback. Or none.
I hate that.
But anyway - I buy much more than I sell.

If you need something let us know. Jenni or I would help you for sure.
a neon - what else ?

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:18 am

Gnuserup wrote:If you need something let us know. Jenni or I would help you for sure.
Thanks! PM sent.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:14 am

FAC3L3SS wrote:Ebay's estimated shipping dates are nothing to go by. They're rarely communicating with the seller, it's just their average time. It's been 3 weeks on a cheaply-shipped overseas item. Hang tight.
You were right and now I have to eat crow. :banghead: The antenna arrived on Monday. The mailing envelope is crease-free and in much better shape than the one the seller used to mail the cable. I have no idea where the antenna has been all of this time.

I don't have time to post pics right now but I don't see how the two parts go together and am now wondering if there are still more parts that I'll have to source to get this thing to work. :cussing:

I have emailed the seller to ask how I can pay him. I also apologized.

gtxtreme19
2010 Silver Contributor

Post by gtxtreme19 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:28 pm

I'm glad to see you've finally got it, I can't wait to see it, and see it installed. What's the ETA on install? is this something you might try yourself?
-Mike
Midnight_Rider wrote:
Skitlz wrote:Gramps, get a GPS.
Gramps Prefers Streetmaps. :D

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:09 am

gtxtreme19 wrote:What's the ETA on install?
I have no idea- I need to find out from either Chrysler, Jenni, Gnuserup or the eBay seller if I am missing parts as I don't see how the antenna mates with the base. :tardbang:
gtxtreme19 wrote:is this something you might try yourself?
Me? Are you kidding? :rofl: If I can get install info, I will probably take it to my dealership.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:30 am

I know the older collapsible antennas just slid in, and had a little tab that locked them in place once inserted. Without a pic if the mast, I can't really say.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:34 am

I'll try to post pics this weekend.
Last edited by Midnight_Rider on Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jenni
2GN Member

Post by Jenni » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:16 am

repair manual and explo are not helpful...

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:57 pm

Iirc the antenna really just slips in.
With all srews unscrewed you have to pull the mast carefully or you easily get it out.

I have a broken one on my 1.6

Will see tomorrow if I can make a picture.

Possibly there is a small metall-piece surrounding the masts base to hold it in position once you have it installed.
a neon - what else ?

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:17 am

I just noticed that the seller had this to say on eBay:
"Nur Postfachadresse angegeben,wollte billigsten versand - Nie mehr was nach USA"

This roughly translates to:
"Only mailbox address specified, was cheapest more what shipping - never after United States"

He seems to forget that I gave him both my street and post office box addresses before I even bought the item (which is why my message about that to him doesn't show on my eBay account, only his) and didn't offer the option for me to pay more for shipping with tracking (which I gladly would have done). I guess this means that he won't consider shipping to the US again after this? :roll:

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:19 am

Yes, he does say that he is not going to send anything to the US again. He claims that you asked for the cheapest way to mail it. He does not seem very truthful in what he enters into ebay. Not sure there is anything you can do. But with this experience it seems that I am not sure I would want to do business with the guy.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:46 am

thomas_w wrote:But with this experience it seems that I am not sure I would want to do business with the guy.
No worries about that ever happening- after I paid him, I emailed with fitment questions about the antenna but there has been no response. I doubt that I will ever hear from him again.

moe8555
2GN Member

Post by moe8555 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:30 am

So today I went to the dealer in an attempt to get the mast installed. I just could not get it myself... I couldn't get that damn nut off that requires the antenna wrench (which I also bought specially for this job!!!)

I can't get it to separate from the base.

At the dealer, they said the mast is too thick and is incorrect for my base. I find it a little hard to believe, but they might be right. I was hoping to come back to this thread and see that Gramps' story ended happily ever after and just order the base/cable for myself as well.

But it turns out that wasn't the case!!
Maybe I'll just downgrade to a US manual antenna???

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:03 pm

Oh noes! :banghead: This makes me wonder if the eBay seller sold me the wrong parts if yours don't go together.

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:20 pm

Probably we should compare the diameters of the masts you have and that we/ I have.
Have heard today, that you maybe are interested in just the base as well.
I have some left as all neons here were sold with manual antennas. Masts are usually broken...
So if anyone is interested I could look out for them (again - just the base with cable to the inside).
a neon - what else ?

Jenni
2GN Member

Post by Jenni » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:50 pm

Compare the fender please.
This is how the BUX antenne looks like.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:55 pm

Gnuserup wrote:Probably we should compare the diameters of the masts you have and that we/ I have.
Have heard today, that you maybe are interested in just the base as well.
I will get pics of what I have posted on Sunday. Maybe after you've seen what I have, you can explain how the two parts go together- I can't make heads or tails out of them. Yes, I need a base as that wasn't included with what I bought from the eBay seller in Germany.

I did find this during a Google part number search (really for a PT Cruiser but gives a little idea of how the thing works):
It looks like I'm missing the base of 1), 2), 3) and 4). :banghead:

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:34 am

This is what our antennabases look like -

Cable is about 85 cm Long (incl. plug)

The rest of the broken mast inserted ...

a neon - what else ?

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:42 pm

Okay, here is what I bought from the German eBay seller:
First, here is an overview of both the antenna mast and the cable.Image
Second, this is the bottom of the antenna (excuse the blur- couldn't get a good close-up).
And last, this is the top of the cable with the rubber cap removed to expose threads.

Looks like what I bought is nothing like what you posted so I feel pretty foolish. :cussing:

MichNeon
2GN Member

Post by MichNeon » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:09 pm

That is interesting, i did'nt know that there were manually retractable antennas available for the Neons until this thread. I've been watching this whole thread, and now decided to comment.
Midnight, my sympathies for what you had to go thru with that guy.
2004 R/T, DD
1995 Sport Sedan (The Frog), Given to my brother.
30 year Chrysler Tech.

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”