power steering stopped working

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power using different springs, upgrading to coilovers, questions on swaybars, bushings, different rotors, pads, ect... Having any steering problems or questions about steering racks, tie rods, tie rod ends, ect... ask these questions here.
Malarky
n00b

power steering stopped working

Post by Malarky » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:56 pm

Hello all,

While I was driving today the steering all of the sudden became really heavy / tight. It feels like im trying to steer with the engine off. No warning lights / codes. Where do I begin and what is the worst that it could be? Also, is it ok to drive as is for a few days until I (or mechanic) can repair?

Thank you

A@ron
2GN Member

Post by A@ron » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:01 pm

Have you checked the fluid level and made sure the belt is still on the pump and spinning with the engine running?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:14 pm

You can drive it, but you are taking a risk, if you get in a situation where you need to steer quickly. You could end up crashing.

You probably lost the belt, or the tensioner failed. Pray for it being the belt.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:28 am

I'd guess the belt probably shredded and fell off, it's common with old rotted belts. If so, replace both belts because the alternator belt won't be far behind if it's just as old.

Malarky
n00b

Post by Malarky » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:22 am

Thanks all.

I looked this morning and the belt was off. I'm holding it in my hand. It is all intact and looks in good shape. So the question is, I guess? why did it come off? Have been over a lot of puddles and pot holes lately. Just a matter of buying a new belt and putting it on?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:57 am

Put that belt back on, and see what it does first. If the tensioner arm pivot has worn, or idler pulley bearing, it might be walking off the idler pulley.

If either is the case, the whole motor mount plate has to come off. If it is just the idler bearing, you can replace that, but if the pivot is letting the arm lean out, then you have to replace the entire motor mount plate.

If the car is near 105,000 miles, you may as well change the timing belt/components/water pump while you are there.

There is an ear on the tensioner. A 17mm wrench slides onto that ear, to move the tensioner to get the belt on.

You won't do it without the wrench.

viewtopic.php?t=45138
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Malarky
n00b

Post by Malarky » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:04 am

Thank you.

I'm a bit of a novice.

Any diagrams and step by step directions?

Thanks again.

Malarky
n00b

Post by Malarky » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:47 pm

Well.... I got the new belt on, started her up and 10 seconds later the belt was being eaten up. Looks and feels like the part that is supposed to spin on the tensioner is busted.

Return to “Suspension, Steering & Brakes”