Thanks for the suggestions

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Thanks for the suggestions

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:01 am

I am on the tail end of a landline phone and U-verse internet bundle promotion. The monthly fees for both services will skyrocket shortly. I plan to have the landline disconnected (I've already signed up for Walmart Family Mobile). I absolutely hate AT+T and would like to find an alternative to U-verse internet. My house is not wired for cable and I don't want holes drilled in the outside walls. I don't want satellite that will go out every time there is a storm. AT+T has a legal monopoly in my area so I can't get service from companies like Brighthouse or Verizon (I would go with bundled services from Verizon if I could since I get a discount through my employer). I get free HD television over the air and don't watch enough TV to justify paying for it. Complicated yet? :banghead:

I am hoping that you young'uns can give me some suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Midnight_Rider on Sat May 31, 2014 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:07 am

Everyone will knock it, but Comcast has been fine for us. They're most expensive internet-only package is like $49.99 a month for up to 50 mbps or whatever that term is. It's been solid for us and we use AppleTV and a Roku to watch everything.

I genuinely don't know if that answers your question. You listed what looked to be a ton of stipulations. I CTRL +F 'd "comcast" and didn't see it.
el. oh. el.

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:06 am

my parents use centurylink DSL, works pretty well and is affordable, i'd look into that.
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

A@ron
2GN Member

Post by A@ron » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:36 am

Get dry loop DSL from a reseller like dslextreme.com

"Dry loop" means there's no phone on the line, no dial tone, nada.

Other than that everything I can think of is going to take hole drilling.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:17 am

Even satellite dishes need some kind of entry hole. Most good installers will hide it under the siding, if that applies.

We got a chuckle out of the installer when my parents got a dish. They ran the cable in through the basement level, which is at that point brick, and 12" concrete block.

Lucky for him, I had a bit long enough to get through. :lol:

If you do end up getting some kind of provider that has to make an entry point, tell them you are very picky about it, and expect a competent installer, that will explain exactly where/how they will route it, and if you are not happy with that, you will turn the guy away and pay nothing.

Our apartment has a few cables running into it, and the way they did it, they are not visible from the outside. So there are a few people out there that do take pride in their work. Most will use a wall plate on the inside, so it isn't like there is just a hole with a cable sticking out of it.

At any rate, about all of the companies are getting ridiculous. If it wasn't for the GF needed her FB fix, we wouldn't have internet at home. I refused to pay the prices about two increases ago. I told her if she wanted it, she could start paying the bill. So she did.

She won't get rid of the "land line" phone, or TV, so she pays about $155/month. It began at $90/month, which I didn't mind for all three. But the cost has gone up, and the quality/service has not. And I think we actually get less programming now. Way to much greed in the industry.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:30 am

r/tguy02 wrote:my parents use centurylink DSL, works pretty well and is affordable, i'd look into that.
Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not in their service area.
A@ron wrote:Get dry loop DSL from a reseller like dslextreme.com
I'll look into that. Their website mentions Verizon only so I might not qualify since I'm in an AT+T monopoly area.
occasional demons wrote:Even satellite dishes need some kind of entry hole. Most good installers will hide it under the siding, if that applies.
The way that the units here are set up, wiring has to go through the outside walls (vinyl siding) and I've seen how messed up my neighbor's houses look, plus the fact that there is no inside cabling in my house so there would have to be wires inside. I was set up to get U-verse TV years ago but turned the installer away when he said that he would have to drill holes through interior walls.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:44 am

Seems you don't have too many choices other than DSL. I have Verizon FiOS in my area and I'm pretty satisfied with it, but it doesn't fit your requirements as your house needs to be wired with coaxial wiring or there will have to be a hole drilled. I get fiber internet and HD cable for $79 (plus tax) a month so I can't really complain. It used to be higher then my contract ended, I bitched and they actually lowered it for another 2 years... If they screw me again in 2 years I'll just switch to Comcast then switch back... They play games, you just have to play back or do without.
PM me for your 00+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:18 am

yeah gramps i think you might be screwed for options :( i hate those monopoly areas :banghead:
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:09 pm

Pretty much how it is here, you have Time Warner for one town, and the next one it is Armstrong Cable.

You really don't have a choice, other than the various dish providers, or the local municipality's offering, which by the time they get you for box rental fees, etc, they aren't really competitive, and have slower internet speeds. :tardbang:

Frontier is pretty much worthless.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:17 pm

How is cellular service in your home?

What do you use internet for?

Do you have multiple computers that you use to access the internet?

If you don't mind sharing, what will the bill go up to?
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:40 pm

racer12306 wrote:How is cellular service in your home?
I used to have AT+T for everything (landline and DSL) but they kept raising their rates for no reason. I dropped the landline and got Verizon Wireless for cellular since I got a 21% discount through my employer. AT+T kept raising the rate for the DSL so I finally gave in and bundled a landline and U-verse internet and dropped Verizon.
racer12306 wrote:What do you use internet for?
2GN, email and YouTube. :lol: I've never downloaded anything and won't be streaming live video any time soon.
racer12306 wrote:Do you have multiple computers that you use to access the internet?
No, just one PC.
racer12306 wrote:If you don't mind sharing, what will the bill go up to?
When the bundle discount ends, the total bill will go up over $50 a month from what I'm currently paying.
Last edited by Midnight_Rider on Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:40 pm

What do you use internet for?

Do you have multiple computers that you use to access the internet?
I think your biggest problem is "Uverse" ... it's an overpriced service all over the country.

"Dry Loop DSL" should available from AT&T, use cellular phones, and get your TV service with an indoor antennae.
If you have multiple computers, you can have a "wireless home network" using a router from Office Depot ...
doesn't require coaxial cabling or ethernet cables in the house.
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:53 pm

Midnight_Rider wrote:
I used to have AT+T for everything (landline and DSL) but they kept raising their rates for no reason. I dropped the landline and got Verizon Wireless for cellular since I got a 21% discount through my employer. AT+T kept raising the rate for the DSL so I finally gave in and bundled a landline and U-verse internet and dropped Verizon.
racer12306 wrote:What do you use internet for?
2GN, email and YouTube. :lol: I've never downloaded anything and won't be streaming live video any time soon.
racer12306 wrote:Do you have multiple computers that you use to access the internet?
No, just one PC.
racer12306 wrote:If you don't mind sharing, what will the bill go up to?
When the bundle discount ends, the total bill will go up over $50 a month from what I'm currently paying.
I think this sounds like a good candidate for getting a cellular hotspot/usb modem.

If the computer does not have wifi ability (can be used, even if it does have wifi): http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/usb-modem

If the computer does have wifi ability (however, there is a battery to keep charged): http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/devi ... le-hotspot

In either case, a 4GB plan is $50 per month total. I would suggest downloading a free bandwidth monitor and see just how much bandwidth you use in the course of a month.

Almost all cellular providers have a similar device so you can shop around.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum Behavior

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:00 pm

Thanks Frank, I'll have to look into that. I have an old-fashioned PC tower, not a laptop so would this work? It would be great to be back with Verizon- their customer service was terrific and I really hated to leave them.

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:09 pm

Midnight_Rider wrote:Thanks Frank, I'll have to look into that. I have an old-fashioned PC tower, not a laptop so would this work? It would be great to be back with Verizon- their customer service was terrific and I really hated to leave them.
These devices hook up either via USB or WiFi. Unless your computer is really ancient, you either already have USB or can add it via a PCI card. Same thing goes for WiFi; either via USB or a PCI card. So it is very likely that it will work with your PC tower. The WiFi connection adds a little more flexibility as you could use it with other devices, such as a smart phone or tablet (you may get one of those down the road :) ). It also allows you to place the device almost anywhere in your house which may be helpful as reception may not be ideal under a desk near a metal case.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:32 am

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/devi ... ractTerm=2
I'm going to call Verizon's Customer Service next week to get details about this. I'm thinking that I could get my cell account back and add a data plan for this. They also have one with home phone but it appears to be hard-wired and I doubt that I could get that here in AT+T monopoly-land. :roll:

Having a data plan would be a first for me as I have never needed one (never had a smart phone and wouldn't get one now, just the data plan for the router to work).

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:52 pm

That's a nice little device.

Be careful picking a data limit, they will want to you to pick a higher limit. If you don't have a clue how much you actually use, start low, you can always increase the limit and the "penalty" of going over isn't substantial.

The Verizon Wireless "home phone" is essentially a box that receives cellular signal then converts it to a usable signal for a standard home phone, very much what this router would do for your computer. This is a neat device that does what that router does and connects a phone to it: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/devi ... ractTerm=2

This is the voice only: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/devi ... ractTerm=2

AT&T can't tell you that you cannot use these devices. That monopoly prevents other ISPs from even entering your market by a hardwired connection, such as FiOS, Xfinity, RoadRunner, etc.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum Behavior

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:04 am

racer12306 wrote:Be careful picking a data limit, they will want to you to pick a higher limit. If you don't have a clue how much you actually use, start low, you can always increase the limit and the "penalty" of going over isn't substantial.
Yeah, that scares me as I have never had to purchase data before since I've never had a smart phone. Verizon has an online calculator where you can simulate how much you might use and an estimated data limit. I had looked at the voice unit you linked to and planned to ask Customer Service about that when I call. I may just end up going back to a Verizon cell with a data limit for the wireless router.

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:49 pm

I use the word "penalty" very loosely. They don't fine you, just make you pay per GB over, normally it's nominal at about $10/GB.

It's really nothing to be worried about. In my opinion, those data estimators suck and are so biased towards the provider.

I stream a lot of music on Pandora on my work phone and I rarely use 2GB/month, then there is the substantial amount of work email I receive every day with sometimes very large attachments. I have almost 3000 emails from just the last 6 weeks.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum Behavior

Haganracing
2GN Member

Post by Haganracing » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:30 pm

I really don't mind the Comcast service I have.. Phone, internet, cable all in one bill. It's not the cheapest but it's very simple and I have no issues with any of their services.

But I would look into what Frank is talking about, mainly because.. well, frank knows what he's talking about haha
occasional demons wrote:So maybe a FuzzyDanteHagan sammich might just beat a FuzzyHagan. :-k
Danteneon wrote:My advice is to fight those urges and enjoy the fact that you have both X and Y chromosomes. And an SRT. And your hand. You don't need a girl.

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:08 pm

racer12306 wrote:I use the word "penalty" very loosely. They don't fine you, just make you pay per GB over, normally it's nominal at about $10/GB.
May not be a bad idea to get a better feel for your data usage. I do not do much video streaming either but I am at almost 25 GB for this month already. Last month I used 27 GB according to my router.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:24 am

thomas_w wrote:...I am at almost 25 GB for this month already. Last month I used 27 GB according to my router.
:shock: Wow! That's scary!

The friendly and very helpful Verizon sales girl (I won't say "lady" as I could tell that she was young enough to be my daughter) I spoke with Monday morning suggested a 2GB data package with unlimited cell phone minutes. She estimated that, with my employer's 21% discount, I would be paying about the same as what I'm currently paying for Walmart Family Mobile (which I have learned is pretty much useless :roll: ) and the AT+T U-verse home phone and internet. She said that I should go for this Jetpack hotspot instead of the wireless router:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/devi ... ractTerm=2
Apparently, I can plug it in and it is free as opposed to the $99.99 charge for the wireless router. I still have to call AT+T to find out exactly when my promo period ends so that I'll know when to call back and tell them to cancel the service.

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:33 am

Midnight_Rider wrote: (I won't say "lady" as I could tell that she was young enough to be my daughter)
No offense, but that doesn't say much considering I've got a sister pushing 30 and my mom's not even 50. Plently of "ladies" in their 20s :)

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:28 am

xxCxL3SS wrote:
Midnight_Rider wrote: (I won't say "lady" as I could tell that she was young enough to be my daughter)
No offense, but that doesn't say much considering I've got a sister pushing 30 and my mom's not even 50. Plently of "ladies" in their 20s :)
I have grandchildren older than you, and with better manners :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:24 pm

FAC3L3SS wrote:
Oops, I stand corrected. :D When did I get so friggen' old? :roll:

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:10 pm

theColonel wrote:
xxCxL3SS wrote:
I have grandchildren older than you, and with better manners :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Why do you keep changing his user name when you quote adam? Didn't you get yelled at before for changing it to dickl3ss lime you're trying to simulate here?

Gramps, if you're not streaming/watching a bunch of video or downloading a bunch of music you should be fine.

I use a ton of bandwidth because of Netflix, YouTube and downloading.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:10 am

INVUJerry wrote:Gramps, if you're not streaming/watching a bunch of video or downloading a bunch of music you should be fine.
Other than occasionally watching something on YouTube or The National on the CBC website, I don't do much with video. And I have never downloaded music files and don't plan to (I'm a CD guy :lol: ). Thanks for the good news. :thumbup:

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:25 pm

There is a simple bandwidth monitor you can install on your computer. It will give you an idea of what you are actually using rather than guessing.

I was going to do this, but it's only good for one computer and I have 3 phones, a 3 tablets, 2 laptops and a desktop.

This one was recommended by lifehacker and is supposed to be super simple.
http://miechu.pl/freemeter/download.aspx

There are two other windows ones covered here: http://lifehacker.com/5917367/how-can-i ... ng-at-home
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum Behavior

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:28 pm

theColonel wrote:
xxCxL3SS wrote:
And what appears to be better manners than yourself.

I believe I've given you vacations over these antics in the past. Just cut it out.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum Behavior

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:49 pm

Okay, my Walmart Family Mobile ended today (thank God- totally worthless as they have no coverage whatsoever :roll: ). I had spoken with a Verizon rep several weeks back but have not been able to contact her again. I spoke with a different salesperson today and she said that everything that I had been told by the other salesperson was wrong. :banghead: I get a 21% discount through my employer and the first rep told me that both my cell phone and wireless router would qualify for the discount through the More Everything plan (I have a "dumb" phone and she said that the data portion of its plan could be used for the router, thus both devices would be on one plan and would qualify for my employer's discount). Unlimited voice and 2GB of data for around $80 monthly after my discount. NOPE! 700 minutes and 4GB of data, two different plans and no discount for either one and over $100 monthly. I am pretty ticked off. :cussing:

Return to “Off-Topic”