I know our Neons are still running but the end is coming....

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
Knightryda
2GN Member

I know our Neons are still running but the end is coming....

Post by Knightryda » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:52 pm

hey guys. I have a 01 RT with 147000 miles on it. I know we all love our cars but they arent going to last forever. I absolutely love my car but since it is used as my work car the miles are getting racked up. Anyways what i am getting at is who here has driven the Dodge Dart and how did they like it? Is it similar to our Neons. I figure i have at least another year and a half before something major could go wrong with my car and it wouldnt be worth dumping money into it. And what car would you guys get once your Neon bites the dust? Are you going to stay Mopar?

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:57 pm

BRR had a Dart for a while so you might find this interesting.
viewtopic.php?p=958091#958091

If I were in the market for a new vehicle, it would definitely be a Dart. My Neon is lucky though- it sleeps most of the year so I'm hoping to still have it when I croak.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

ckrock946
2GN Member

Post by ckrock946 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:23 am

Let the records indicate that i officially have "Dibs" on Gramps's srt :D

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #141

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:28 am

ckrock946 wrote:Let the records indicate that i officially have "Dibs" on Gramps's srt :D
What? Y'all want me in the ground already? :shock: [/off-topic]

ckrock946
2GN Member

Post by ckrock946 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:57 am

Midnight_Rider wrote: What? Y'all want me in the ground already? :shock:
:slap: where did you get such a confounded though :-**

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #141

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:00 am

:laughing3:

Still think that a Dart would be his best bet.

Knightryda
2GN Member

Post by Knightryda » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:32 am

Yea we'll see what I want to get. It will be used primarily for work I don't think I wanna use my Nissan Frontier for work yet. Considering the resale value on Frontiers is so good and I don't want to trash it by using it as a work vehicle. I mean i paid 25 grand for the truck in 2010 and trade in value is still 21 grand. Otherwise I may just buy a beater car for a couple grand.

dblsg
2GN Veteran

Post by dblsg » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:56 am

I love my dart. Too bad its actually my wife's car so therefore had to get an automatic. It handles great and gets awesome gas mileage!!!!
Image Sam-I-Am
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000046
Diablo0 wrote: "eh... your opinion doesn't matter... I'm doing what I want..."

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:27 pm

^^There ya' go! I forgot that Sam has one. :D

titansxt
2GN Member

Post by titansxt » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:27 pm

In about a year I figure I'll be in a new car. I'm leaning towards the Mazda6 with a six speed manual. I like the Dart but I think there have been far too many empty promises about it's lack of performance, Mopar's 1.5 million accessories that we've only seen like 10 of, and I don't enjoy the low US/Canada parts content. The Mazda6 is 90% Japan.

I've seen too much of Chrysler products being built with Made In China parts. I don't support China if at all possible. If the Dart got up to the 84% like my two Neons have, I'd consider it. /rant
2003 SXT
2005 SRT-4
2gn.org member #26 :tard:
Lemon Neon member #1.
Any or all of the above statement(s) may be entirely fictional and a fabrication. :lol:
ram50rocket wrote: I must had been mistaken in thinking that NEONS.ORG was just for neons.

MichNeon
2GN Member

Post by MichNeon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:15 pm

I would not consider the Dart. It is a rebadged Alfa Romeo. The new Cherokee is no better, it is a rebadged Fiat, as well. But, the Dart is being built under license right here in the U.S., at Belvidere. I've had to work on a few of them, and am not impressed.
What is really hurting the Dart was the constant changing of what transmission to put in that went on at launch.
2004 R/T, DD
1995 Sport Sedan (The Frog), Given to my brother.
30 year Chrysler Tech.

titansxt
2GN Member

Post by titansxt » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:22 pm

:slap:
2003 SXT
2005 SRT-4
2gn.org member #26 :tard:
Lemon Neon member #1.
Any or all of the above statement(s) may be entirely fictional and a fabrication. :lol:
ram50rocket wrote: I must had been mistaken in thinking that NEONS.ORG was just for neons.

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:58 pm

The dart is actually what I was considering as my next car, I like the styling of it. As long as they work out the bugs I'd buy one. The real question is how long will my neon last? It may run for another 10 years, or until they stop making replacement parts for it.

Also, what is this talk about not being able to rev the engine to take off in 1st gear with the dart? Is this only on the turbo models? That would be a deal breaker for me, I should be able to launch the car off the line if I want to.

Knightryda
2GN Member

Post by Knightryda » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:03 pm

^ yea that would be a deal breaker for me too. I'd hate to say it but if thats the case Id rather get a Focus. Please dont tear me a new one for that comment

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:28 pm

Donkeypuncher wrote:...until they stop making replacement parts for it.
Sad to say but this is already happening.

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:33 pm

Also, what is this talk about not being able to rev the engine to take off in 1st gear with the dart? Is this only on the turbo models? That would be a deal breaker for me, I should be able to launch the car off the line if I want to.
The way the 1.4T is designed is you can not give throttle unless there is some type of load, which means when engaging 1st gear to get rolling, you have to let off the clutch before the gas. If you try to rev it with the clutch engaged, the throttle will not rise.

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:15 pm

BlackRoseRacing wrote: The way the 1.4T is designed is you can not give throttle unless there is some type of load, which means when engaging 1st gear to get rolling, you have to let off the clutch before the gas. If you try to rev it with the clutch engaged, the throttle will not rise.
That seems like a back asswards way to have the throttle behave. Is that a loophole to keep people from damaging parts or drag racing the car?

How about the 2.4 engine? That's the one I'd want anyway.

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:44 am

BlackRoseRacing wrote: The way the 1.4T is designed is you can not give throttle unless there is some type of load, which means when engaging 1st gear to get rolling, you have to let off the clutch before the gas. If you try to rev it with the clutch engaged, the throttle will not rise.
Seriously?? I wonder if the Power Pedal addresses this issue (or at least fools the computer). I have never heard of a car set up like that.
Donkeypuncher wrote:How about the 2.4 engine? That's the one I'd want anyway.
Me too. The SXT with the 2.4 looks like a nice package. I've only driven the 1.4/6-speed so far. I wish there was a way to try out the 2.4/6-speed without a dealer calling me 3 times a day for the following two weeks. Maybe if I just walk in and clearly say that I am not interested in buying this car, only driving it, they'll appreciate the honesty enough to let me take it for a ride.
Jon J.

2003 Neon SXT - new home, new owner. Thanks for everything, old friend.
1989 Daytona ES - 2.4L/A555 swapped

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon Until Jerry Buys It" Club Member #11

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:54 pm

jonnymopar wrote:
Donkeypuncher wrote:How about the 2.4 engine? That's the one I'd want anyway.
Me too. The SXT with the 2.4 looks like a nice package. I've only driven the 1.4/6-speed so far. I wish there was a way to try out the 2.4/6-speed without a dealer calling me 3 times a day for the following two weeks. Maybe if I just walk in and clearly say that I am not interested in buying this car, only driving it, they'll appreciate the honesty enough to let me take it for a ride.
:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: I've been shopping for cars for many years ... if you find one that doesn't call daily for many weeks after a test drive, tell us about it.
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

ragek23
2GN Member

Post by ragek23 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:08 pm

BlackRoseRacing wrote:
The way the 1.4T is designed is you can not give throttle unless there is some type of load, which means when engaging 1st gear to get rolling, you have to let off the clutch before the gas. If you try to rev it with the clutch engaged, the throttle will not rise.
That means no rev matching either.... yeah i'm out. whats the point of buying a manual if you can't even drive it like a manual. no wonder they arn't making an SRT model.

BTW whoever mentioned the 6spd mazda. its a freakin deal $14-16K with lots of options and great mpg. A friend at the gym just picked one up. Id be in the fiesta/focus ST for the next DD.

2002 Neon SXT Sold
2006 EVO MR Weekend Warrior
2003 SRT 4 DD
-Kevin

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:12 pm

theColonel wrote::laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: I've been shopping for cars for many years ... if you find one that doesn't call daily for many weeks after a test drive, tell us about it.
In 2004 and 2005, Mazda put on an event called Zoom Zoom Live. One of the locations was an out-of-commission air force base about 30 miles from me. They set up 5 mini autocross tracks and they had different cars at each track. One was for the RX8, one was for the Miata, one was the 3, one had the Speed6, and so on. Every car was brand new, you signed a two-page waiver when you walked in, and the whole damn thing was FREE to attend! No phonecalls afterwards, and the only emails you saw were your track times and a photo at the finish line of the Miata track.

Guess what's sitting next to my Neon in my garage every night: a Mazda3 that I adore.

And yet, as someone who has spent the last quarter million miles of my driving life behind the wheel of a Dodge, I can't go test drive a brand new Dart without a freaking hassle afterwards, regardless of the fact that I'm honestly considering it for my next car.

I digress. Back on topic: even with the half-assed job on the programming for the earlier NGC vehicles, I really hope Chrysler did the code for the 2.0/2.4 Darts and not Fiat. If that's the way they're going to approach PCM programming, I'm all set with that.
Jon J.

2003 Neon SXT - new home, new owner. Thanks for everything, old friend.
1989 Daytona ES - 2.4L/A555 swapped

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon Until Jerry Buys It" Club Member #11

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:45 pm

^^^^^ Let's face it, the Dodge dealers are desperate, and the automotive journalists go along with all of FCA's lame excuses,
like "Avenger discounts hurt Dart sales". Bullshit, the Dart is a poor product ... Avenger discounts haven't hurt the sale of Ford
Focus or Chevrolet Cruze.

I've driven the 1.4T manual, and the 2.0 6-speed auto Darts ... the cars are loaded with too many "gee whiz options", plus
they're too heavy for a 160 hp engine. I don't think the 184 hp 2.4 will make a magic difference.

I don't know why, but even the Fiat 500 sells better than the Dodge Dart in Corpus Christi - I wouldn't buy either one.
The only new Mopars I'd consider would have the 3.6 liter Pentastar engine, like the Charger or Chrysler 200.
05 Dodge SRT-4

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:56 pm

jonnymopar wrote: In 2004 and 2005, Mazda put on an event called Zoom Zoom Live. One of the locations was an out-of-commission air force base about 30 miles from me. They set up 5 mini autocross tracks and they had different cars at each track. One was for the RX8, one was for the Miata, one was the 3, one had the Speed6, and so on. Every car was brand new, you signed a two-page waiver when you walked in, and the whole damn thing was FREE to attend! No phonecalls afterwards, and the only emails you saw were your track times and a photo at the finish line of the Miata track.
I remember that event. They had one of those 20 minutes away from me on a retired air base. I auto-crossed a Mazda 3 when I went. The wait times for the RX8 was just too ridiculous so I did not even try.

They did not bug me too much afterward either. They only sent me invitations to test drive their cars via mail and offered to pay me $15 if I test drove one.

Knightryda
2GN Member

Post by Knightryda » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:59 pm

I totally forgot about the Mazda 3. I really like that car and from the sound it you guys are all saying that the Dart is garbage. After thinking about it, i guess if i had to get a compact car again i would go with either a Focus or the Mazda 3. And whats this that they ARENT going to make a SRT Dart? I thought they already planned on it and the concept car pics i saw on here were awesome. I hope they change their mind.

C1DoG
2GN Member

Post by C1DoG » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:03 pm

After I have no other choice than to get another car. THe next wil be a Chrysler 200S. :thumbup:
Drove my neon until it was killed in a flood.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:01 am

theColonel wrote: Bullshit, the Dart is a poor product ... Avenger discounts haven't hurt the sale of Ford
Focus or Chevrolet Cruze.
I would buy a Dart over the Cruze any day of the week. A friend had a Cruze, for about a month and she couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Can't say it really did much for me either. :pukeright:

I would say the Avenger has hurt sales due to it being more attractive to loyal Mopar owners. A ford or chevy guy probably wouldn't buy either Dart or the Avenger.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:18 am

theColonel wrote:Let's face it, the Dodge dealers are desperate, and the automotive journalists go along with all of FCA's lame excuses, like "Avenger discounts hurt Dart sales". Bull****, the Dart is a poor product ...

Avenger discounts have hurt Dart sales; any time that you have an older model, the dies and tooling has been paid off (cheaper to build them thus lower price and more profit) and the automaker usually slaps a lot of goodies on the cars to move them since the buying public knows how old the designs are.
theColonel wrote:...Avenger discounts haven't hurt the sale of Ford Focus or Chevrolet Cruze.
Naturally! Chrysler shoppers want a Chrysler product so the discounted Avenger cannibalizes sales from prospective Dart buyers.

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:05 am

^^^^^^I realize you think you're making points with the audience, but let me remind of a few facts.

I own a 2009 Dodge Avenger, and there are 3 Dodge Neons in my family. I've been driving Chrysler vehicles since 1958.
The Neons and the Avenger aren't interchangeable. I will never buy a "new Dodge Dart".

I firmly believe that FCA is making a huge mistake by discontinuing the Dodge Avenger. Let the flaming begin. :cussing:

05 Dodge SRT-4

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:26 am

theColonel wrote:I realize you think you're making points with the audience...
No, just pointing out facts. Unless you have a vehicle like the original VW Beetle, you can't keep selling an old design forever. The Avenger had been ready for retirement (along with all of the other remaining Daimler-era designs- 300, Charger, Challenger, Compass). Chrysler Group has been building up the corporate kitty to pay for new designs that will soon be phased in to replace these vehicles.

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:42 am

Midnight_Rider wrote:
theColonel wrote:I realize you think you're making points with the audience...
No, just pointing out facts. Unless you have a vehicle like the original VW Beetle, you can't keep selling an old design forever. The Avenger had been ready for retirement (along with all of the other remaining Daimler-era designs- 300, Charger, Challenger, Compass). Chrysler Group has been building up the corporate kitty to pay for new designs that will soon be phased in to replace these vehicles.
viewtopic.php?t=61707&postdays=0&postor ... &start=120#
05 Dodge SRT-4

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”