throttle body...

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
Paul56
2GN Member

throttle body...

Post by Paul56 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:57 pm

A part on the throttle body fell off earlier today when I touched it.

It landed down around the PCM so it had to be poked out with a coat hanger.

It is a rubber cap that fits over an opening in the throttle body facing towards the front of the car.

On mine a piece of the side of the cap had long since broken away and the rest of it seems somewhat brittle.

Anyone with a Haynes manual (Dodge & Plymouth Neon 2000 thru 2005) can turn to page 4-10 and view figure 11.1a to see the part. It is on the right hand side slightly lower than middle... just below the wire loom in the picture.

I covered the opening up with electrical tape and it ran normal on the way home. The cap in the condition it is certainly wasn't doing a good job of sealing up the opening; however, I'm wondering how important it is that this be sealed?

Much appreciated if anyone can shed some light on this. :D
2011 Honda Fit Sport

dblsg
2GN Veteran

Post by dblsg » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:35 pm

this would be the front.... what plug?
Image Sam-I-Am
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000046
Diablo0 wrote: "eh... your opinion doesn't matter... I'm doing what I want..."

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:48 am

No clue what youre referring to, can you take a pic and post it?
-Derek

|Donate to 2gn|Feedback || OB's | GozziFab | All Business |

Paul56
2GN Member

Post by Paul56 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:03 pm

Hmm, very interesting. The one pictured doesn't have the rubber stopper covered port that mine does... perhaps the difference between Canadian and American vehicle? <shrug>

In any case, I went to an auto parts store and purchased a package of assorted sized rubber caps... one of them fit perfectly.

Issue resolved... even if there wasn't one by leaving the port open.
2011 Honda Fit Sport

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:31 pm

Mine has that rubber cap '01 model year. The newer ones are like pictured. It is where the molded boss is at the airbox flange just above the TPS. For those with CAI it makes a handy port for the PCV intake. It must have been an afterthought at the factory. Basically it goes in just before the throttle plate, so a vacuum leak is not an issue, just dirty air if not plugged or plumbed. Good to know it's there tho. I never noticed it before. Something to check now and then.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

03blackrt
2GN Member

Post by 03blackrt » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:49 pm

:withstupid:

It's where I ran my PCV to.

spencersummerfield
2GN Member

Re: throttle body...

Post by spencersummerfield » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:26 pm

Paul56 wrote:A part on the throttle body fell off earlier today when I touched it.

It landed down around the PCM so it had to be poked out with a coat hanger.

It is a rubber cap that fits over an opening in the throttle body facing towards the front of the car.

On mine a piece of the side of the cap had long since broken away and the rest of it seems somewhat brittle.

Anyone with a Haynes manual (Dodge & Plymouth Neon 2000 thru 2005) can turn to page 4-10 and view figure 11.1a to see the part. It is on the right hand side slightly lower than middle... just below the wire loom in the picture.

I covered the opening up with electrical tape and it ran normal on the way home. The cap in the condition it is certainly wasn't doing a good job of sealing up the opening; however, I'm wondering how important it is that this be sealed?

Much appreciated if anyone can shed some light on this. :D
mine fell off once too. just tape it up. my cap was brittle. go to your local autoparts store and get a cap of some kind. or buy a 60mm TB :twisted:
2008 Audi A3 - 6 Speed, 2.0T S Line

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”