MyNeonSaysHi Mod Log: Stone White

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Re: MyNeonSaysHi Mod Log: Stone White

Post by theColonel » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:00 pm

occasional demons wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:35 am
I mean if you have to spend around $100 to repair it, may as well put it towards a new un cracked manifold.

A heli coil and a stud might be more durable, since the stud would stay put as long as the nut was kept lubed. But if a stud prevents assembly due to clearance issues, then that option is out.

:withstupid: Your SRT-4 is well worth spending the money for a new exhaust manifold.
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:18 pm

Right on, yeah just going to get a new one. Going with AGP.

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:52 pm

Will going to a different brand of manifold affect the alignment of anything, or are they pretty interchangeable?
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:41 pm

Yeah I was worried about that a bit... The 02 housing might be different but not sure. Need to ask the original owner. I believe the ATP manifold sits up higher or vice versa with the AGP. Let me look online. A AGP 02 housing is over $400 LOL

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:19 am

It has an ATP 02 housing. I have the reroute blocked off so it might work with the AGP manifold. Anyhow, I took the manifold off. Was not fun to do so. Found out my harbor freight 12mm crows foot was an 11mm! Even though it was labeled as a 12mm. So I went to Harbor Freight and got a new set free of charge since Pittsburg tools have a lifetime warranty.
Some of the studs came out, some stayed in. Going to buy a new Mopar Exhaust manifold gasket just because..Might as well since it is off. The part number for the Mopar SRT-4 exhaust manifold gasket is 4884447AA for reference.
05 PW1 SRT-4Not sure about buying new exhaust manifold studs or just re-using the ones on there?

Here are a couple pictures I took. As you can see the crack went through, this is a picture of inside the manifold:
Image I was having a weird issue with my car spiking lean at very random times, I might of mentioned that before. Well that could of been it with air entering the exhaust manifold.... So glad I took it off.

Here is a picture of the exhaust side of the head with the couple of exhaust studs they stayed in there.
Image No oil inside the exhaust ports. Was kind of worried about that. Tiny bit of black carbon but that could of been from the turbo blowing that journal bearing out.

So as of now waiting on the AGP exhaust manifold and their big turbo bolt kit. Ordered it through SDK last Thursday. Hopefully it gets shipped out this week.

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:47 am

I think you and Neon will be much happier with performance once all parts come in and are installed. Looks like good progress being made, I know that even with the SOHC 2.0 that I'm not thrilled about working on the firewall side of the motor! BUT I've had to work on worse applications than that in the past too. Hang in there and get it done right this occasion and then ENJOY running it! :)

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:58 pm

Should be able to re use the studs without any issues. Maybe loctite the ones that came out. I would use blue, even though they can still back out if the nuts stick. But if for some bizarre reason one should break, you can still remove it.

I use anti seize on all my studs outer ends. Using decent lock washers, or crimped lock nuts will keep them from possibly backing off. Once a little rust starts on the exposed stud threads, they will definitely stay put.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:34 pm

Right on will do. Got the AGP bolt set that came with 5 studs. Not sure why it came with 5 studs. Since there are 10 holes on the exhaust side of the head. I will get pictures with what I am dealing with. I just want to make sure I am doing it right.

I did some investigating. Mainly on the ATP exhaust manifold that was on there. Well long story short. It isn't a ATP log manifold. It was a cheap Kinetic manifold. So no wonder it cracked. Also found out the 02 housing is not a ATP unit, but a Kinetic unit. But that is actually in great shape. So really not sure why the original owner told me it was ATP. Lots of inconsistences.

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:53 pm

Oh to answer my question above. There are only 5 studs due to just replacing the ones needed for a shorter stud for the AGP manifold.

More bad news. Had a buddy come over that works at a shop. He brought his big vice grips over and got two exhaust studs out that I could not get out. So that was good, super happy! But then I started to install my new AGP log manifold. Got all the nuts on finger tight, then started to torque them down from the inside out. Low and behold my dumbass forgot a stud on top. So as I was torquing the bottom center stud nuts I heard a "ding" didn't think much of it until I got back to the top and saw the EPIC fail. brand new Stud broke:
So I will need a shop to weld a nut on it and back it out. :(

I took the new manifold off of course since that broke. And look what I found:
Glad I caught that! After heat cycles that could of broke off and ruined my turbo!

At this point need to get new exhaust studs similar to the ones in the AGP kit. Luckily I have the size dimensions. Car needs to go to a shop and have that stud extracted. If shop is willining I might just have them put my car all back together and spend the money at this point.

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:17 pm

Oh man. This exhaust manifold situation is just more and more bad news. I hope someone can get it out for you for a reasonable price. Looks like a major pain in the ass.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:26 pm

There is not enough there to weld to.

It can be drilled in the center and an easy out could be attempted. The only issue is due to the size, the easy out will have to be relatively small. The risk is if the easy out snaps, there is no drilling that.

But a shop with a decent technician should be able to get it out. As long as the stud was not cranked into place/bottomed out, it should back out fairly easy. Sometimes they will even spin when drilling them.

And yeah, you'll want to get that casting flash cleaned up. At least most DOHC heads I have seen do not have any flash in the ports. The head on my '01 had so much that I could barely get my pinky finger through there. It gave the carbon a good surface to stick to...
Bill
epic

Help support 2GN!

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:48 pm

occasional demons wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:26 pm
There is not enough there to weld to.

It can be drilled in the center and an easy out could be attempted. The only issue is due to the size, the easy out will have to be relatively small. The risk is if the easy out snaps, there is no drilling that.

But a shop with a decent technician should be able to get it out. As long as the stud was not cranked into place/bottomed out, it should back out fairly easy. Sometimes they will even spin when drilling them.

And yeah, you'll want to get that casting flash cleaned up. At least most DOHC heads I have seen do not have any flash in the ports. The head on my '01 had so much that I could barely get my pinky finger through there. It gave the carbon a good surface to stick to...
You don't think so? I saw a mechanic on YouTube get it out on a Ram : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDlk7B-PRAA&t=936s 11:30 minutes in

Yeah I didn't have it in tight at all. Wow, that blows about your head on your 01. Wonder how much power is robbed on factory cars due to cast flash.
Oh man. This exhaust manifold situation is just more and more bad news. I hope someone can get it out for you for a reasonable price. Looks like a major pain in the ass.

That it has. It all deals with the manifold. If I could just get the manifold and then the turbo on there, everything else is cake. But its these little things that keep happening due to inexpierence on my part and not paying attention.

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:25 pm

Hmmm, that might just work. I would be afraid of melting aluminum being that close, but I guess if you use a welder often enough, and know the proper heat settings...

If it was not bottomed out, it should come out pretty easy. Too bad you don't have a left hand drill bit handy, to see if it would catch it and spin it out. A regular drill bit would just move it in more. Which is fine if you are dealing with something that it can come out the other side. I have done plenty like that. But a blind hole, not so much.
Bill
epic

Help support 2GN!

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:54 pm

good idea on the left hand drill bit... Its just so hard metal.

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:57 pm

They are hard, but not undrillable hard. A good drill bit will cut right into a bolt or stud. The toughest part is getting it to start close to the center. But angling the bit around until it gets fairly well centered usually gets it close enough. Being in the place it is, it may be easier said than done.
Bill
epic

Help support 2GN!

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:13 pm

I don't trust myself at this point attempting to do that.

Ziptied the rear seciton of the exhaust up and the 02 sensors so they don't hang. Car is back on the ground on all 4 wheels. Have a local muffler shop that said they "should" be able to get it out. So I need to find a tow truck to get it towed out of my garage to this shop. But I am waiting on my new exhaust studs to come in the mail. Going to ask to have that muffler shop just install the new AGP manifold while its there. Owner of the shop is not that easy to talk to. But he does very good work and has been welding probably longer then I have been alive.

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

04SRT4
n00b

Post by 04SRT4 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:42 pm

I like what you've done to the car man. The white is sharp and I like the detail on the motor work, painting the block, timing gears etc..Nice work!

I would soooo love to srt swap a 2dr coupe. Maybe one day
04 SRT-4 Built Bottom-End Pushing 25PSi :twisted:

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:37 pm

Thanks man. I don't think the block or the "timing gears" has been painted. All original. The car only has right under 21k on it and doesn't see inclement weather.

Yeah a 1gn coupe with a srt-4 would be so much fun. There was a clean one for sale a month or so ago about 3 hours away from me. But the owner was shady. Would be fun, but I honestly wouldn't feel that safe in it compared to a 2gn

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:29 am

*Sigh* Good news and bad news.
Good news. The stud came right out. Image Guy at the muffler shop did a great job. We also installed my new AGP manifold. Only charged me $85+ tax. Now getting the car towed to the shop which was only about 3 miles from my house was a different story. $65 the first time. Then got another tow truck company to bring it back to my house soon after since all the other tow places were busy. $73 there.
Image Wasn't happy with the first tow truck guy. My front fascia was crunching right there. Luckily it didn't break a stud or anything in my fender. I should of removed my front fascia. He didn't know where to hook it up underneath either. 2nd tow truck was much better. Plus I borrowed 2x4's so it would go off easy.
Poor car :(

Now the bad news. Got my turbo on and had to stop at the 02 housing. Since the Kinnetic manifold sits different on the car and the 02 housing is for the Kinnetic...it will not clear the AGP manifold.
So I was looking online for a used AGP big turbo 02 housing. One guy was selling an old style one. Looked super rough. Had some rusty looking areas I believe where it wouldn't hold up well and leak. Could get it for $200 shipped. Doesn't show the red/orange spot in the picture. I just don't trust it. Image

I decided I am going to buy a new AGP 02 housing. At this point might as well right?!? $405! I have a $50 credit through AGP due to the flash casking. So it will be around $380 shipped. Might offset the cost if I can sell my Kinnetic 02 housing which is perfect and manifold. Hopefully the last thing I need to get this car going. Going to have pretty much a brand new turbo setup on this car. Lots of money has been spent. But it is worth it for this car that I plan to keep. Just has been frustrating.

So just need to bolt up 02 housing, wastegate/dump tube. screw oil feed line on top and the rest is very easy after that. Start it up and let it idle for 20 minutes to break the new turbo in. Hopefully it doesn't blow white smoke LOL

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:39 am

That was a good idea putting that washer behind the nut. A little protection for the aluminum...
Bill
epic

Help support 2GN!

Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:51 am

:shock: Tow truck! This is what I was thinking at Carlisle this year when my car broke down. Hope that the fascia survived okay.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

Return to “Progress/Project Log”