How To: Hook-up Fogs OEM style ............

User avatar
D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor
Posts: 723
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:39 pm
Location: Bellevue, NE

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:49 pm

Awesome thats what I thought. Thanks OD I appreciate it man. I knew about the spade connectors popping into the pdc so you might be onto something and I might look into running a relay.

Still open for any input but thanks for the idea.
MY PROJECT LOG My Old 2002 ES AND My 2003 SXT

It is not that we cannot be friends, it's that you are a zombie, and I am almost out of ammo. -Someone

User avatar
sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor
Posts: 9489
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 5:35 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Post by sidepipe87 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:18 pm

D-Railed_Neon wrote:bump to revive. I have an 03 that came without fogs but last time I was under the car i believe I saw two connections where the fogs would go and a harness covered in the black plastic cable protector. Does anyone know if the 03s came with the harness regardless of whether or not it came with fogs? Will it be a simple plug fogs in, switch MFS, and insert proper fuse, or do I have a bit of jimmy rig wiring to do?

Here's what I know.... And I was surprised when I just read through this since I've added oem fogs to 2 non fog neons now and it was MUCH simpler than this kit. That said, both were 03+ like yours. It's a simple procedure.

Parts needed:
-LH and RH fog light assemblies (about $50 new DEPO/TYC etc on Rock Auto)
-03+ MFS with Fog option. (around $68 from Auto Zone... it's a reboxed Mopar switch has the PN and all)
-03+ fog light wiring pigtail. This will plug into that connector you see taped up under the car by the core support and then to both fog lights. (don't know if you can buy new, I've always bought used from part outs)
-03+ fog light bumper (price obviously varies esp if you need to pay to paint it)

Install parts, check your fuse box to make sure fuses are in there for the fog lights, turn your headlight switch on and pull the dial out away from the stalk and enjoy your fog lights! :lol:

User avatar
D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor
Posts: 723
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:39 pm
Location: Bellevue, NE

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:22 pm

awesome. I know the bulb connector is the same for all 2gns. The car is an 03 but i will be running an 02 front end and fogs. I will be purchasing the bumper, both fogs, and a 04 MFS with fog option in the next two weeks. So id sounds like I should just need the 03+ fog light wiring pigtail and I should be good to go.....right?


Thanks for the help guys!
MY PROJECT LOG My Old 2002 ES AND My 2003 SXT

It is not that we cannot be friends, it's that you are a zombie, and I am almost out of ammo. -Someone

User avatar
sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor
Posts: 9489
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 5:35 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Post by sidepipe87 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:25 pm

If you're running 02 front end, then you will want an 02 or earlier fog light harness then. The difference is at the plugs for the fog lights. 02 has different connectors than the 03 so if you get the wrong year harness you will have to wire new ends on to match your fogs.
PM me for your 03+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

User avatar
D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor
Posts: 723
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:39 pm
Location: Bellevue, NE

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:28 pm

sidepipe87 wrote:If you're running 02 front end, then you will want an 02 or earlier fog light harness then. The difference is at the plugs for the fog lights. 02 has different connectors than the 03 so if you get the wrong year harness you will have to wire new ends on to match your fogs.
OK so I will need the 00-02 fog pigtail harness but, everything else in my list should be pretty much plug and play then?
MY PROJECT LOG My Old 2002 ES AND My 2003 SXT

It is not that we cannot be friends, it's that you are a zombie, and I am almost out of ammo. -Someone

User avatar
sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor
Posts: 9489
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 5:35 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Post by sidepipe87 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:02 pm

Correct
PM me for your 03+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

neongirl87
2GN Member
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:57 pm

Post by neongirl87 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:00 pm

I have an 03 sxt without fogs, I want to install some, I'm going to start off by buying the sxt bumper with fogs lol

i want this look

Image[/url]


will these work?

Image

Image

Image

which ones will look better?

I want either 6k or 8k HIDS for the headlights and fogs

Ramroid
2GN Member
Posts: 428
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:24 am
Location: Kentucky

Post by Ramroid » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:23 pm

neongirl87 wrote:I have an 03 sxt without fogs, I want to install some, I'm going to start off by buying the sxt bumper with fogs lol

i want this look

Image[/url]


will these work?

Image

Image

Image

which ones will look better?

I want either 6k or 8k HIDS for the headlights and fogs
If you're wanting HID foglights, you'll have to run a relay harness. I upgraded my foglights to HIDS and ran a relay harness as an extra bit of security. Any kind of universal foglight will work, but if you're wanting to run HIDS, the relay is always a good idea.

neongirl87
2GN Member
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:57 pm

Post by neongirl87 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:11 am

Ramroid wrote:
neongirl87 wrote:I have an 03 sxt without fogs, I want to install some, I'm going to start off by buying the sxt bumper with fogs lol

i want this look

Image[/url]


will these work?

Image

Image

Image

which ones will look better?

I want either 6k or 8k HIDS for the headlights and fogs
If you're wanting HID foglights, you'll have to run a relay harness. I upgraded my foglights to HIDS and ran a relay harness as an extra bit of security. Any kind of universal foglight will work, but if you're wanting to run HIDS, the relay is always a good idea.

ok so i would need 4 6 or 8k bulbs, 4 ballasts (for heads and fogs)

1 or 2 relays harnesses for the heads and fogs?

any other recomendations ? the side markers

occasional demons
Junior Admin
Posts: 19058
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 12:14 pm
Location: Ashland Ohio

Post by occasional demons » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:48 pm

Most HID kits come with the bulbs, ballasts and harnesses. You will need to retrofit HID projectors into your headlights to do the headlights correctly.

Depot projectors will work, but are not 100% correct for HID's but are a much better option (for oncoming traffic) than just putting HID bulbs in your factory style incandescent housings.

And just a tip: The bluer the light, the less real visibility you will have. If you really want better lighting, stick with 4000 to 5000 kelvin. If you don't care about visibility, and just appearance, then do what you like. Just don't put HID bulbs in your factory style incandescent housings.

If you can't afford new headlight housings, then please do not HID bulbs in your headlights. The projector fogs are fine, as they have a cut off for fog use.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

neongirl87
2GN Member
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:57 pm

Post by neongirl87 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:21 am

occasional demons wrote:Most HID kits come with the bulbs, ballasts and harnesses. You will need to retrofit HID projectors into your headlights to do the headlights correctly.

Depot projectors will work, but are not 100% correct for HID's but are a much better option (for oncoming traffic) than just putting HID bulbs in your factory style incandescent housings.

And just a tip: The bluer the light, the less real visibility you will have. If you really want better lighting, stick with 4000 to 5000 kelvin. If you don't care about visibility, and just appearance, then do what you like. Just don't put HID bulbs in your factory style incandescent housings.

If you can't afford new headlight housings, then please do not HID bulbs in your headlights. The projector fogs are fine, as they have a cut off for fog use.
ok, but how many harnesses will i need 2?

4 ballasts and 2 relays?

i'll probably go with 6k

occasional demons
Junior Admin
Posts: 19058
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 12:14 pm
Location: Ashland Ohio

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:02 am

If you buy a kit, (Recommended here) the harness and everything else will come with. You may need to do some tweaking of the wiring, as some harnesses aren't correct, IIRC from some of the HID threads.

You can buy better bulbs later, as I have heard that the bulbs that come in the kits are not always the best quality depending on what you buy. But they will work to get the bugs ironed out.

But the cheap ebay ones will work, and they will give you some kind of experience, so if you move on to better things, you won't be totally clueless. Look at it like a cheap education. :lol:
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

neongirl87
2GN Member
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:57 pm

Post by neongirl87 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:14 pm

oh ok, well i had HID"s on my last car that a friend installed from ddr tuning? I don't like buying from ebay

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran
Posts: 6517
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:58 pm
Location: NIN

Post by FAC3L3SS » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:56 pm

neongirl87 wrote:oh ok, well i had HID"s on my last car that a friend installed from ddr tuning? I don't like buying from ebay
Why is this? eBay isn't a brand.

Buy the same brand crap you were going to buy anyway, just get in on eBay and save a few bones.

occasional demons
Junior Admin
Posts: 19058
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 12:14 pm
Location: Ashland Ohio

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:02 pm

I would buy from ebay long before buying from Amazon.

There is no incentive for Amazon sellers to get stuff shipped in a timely manner, and my past experience from Amazon sellers backs that one up 100%.

But since this is about fog lights, back to the topic.... /rant.

If said friend is still available, buy what's needed, and have them verbally guide you with the install, instead of having said friend do it.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

Post Reply

Return to “HT Electrical”