"free mod" goes horribly wrong

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
Jerome Adams
2GN Member

"free mod" goes horribly wrong

Post by Jerome Adams » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:34 pm

so tonight I decided to go out and adjust my clutch pedal (lower it slightly) to make driving easier and to take a little of the "play" out of the clutch.

First of all it is way up under there and I am not a real big guy, but I am not a little dude either so it was a tight and very uncomfortable fit to get to the bolt.

After a few adjustments I had it pretty close but wanted it a little lower so the clutch engaged almost immediatley and the pedal was a little lower...well I should have left well enough alone cause the flimsy little plastic bushing that keeps the clutch cable on popped out and a tine broke off. No big deal, I can slip that back together. Or so I thought. no big deal I will just put a little safety wire around it. There is a nice little groove and that will work better than that crappy littly bushing anyway. Well I had a hard time getting 1 hand in there so 2 was totally out of the question and I could not get the wire tight enough to stay (goes on hard--comes off easy). Oh yeah, by this time it was getting dark and my kids think flashlights are toys so the flashlights get broke or lost in no time, despite us hiding them.

Well after eniterly too long of messing with that, I decide to just get the adjusment right and then safety wire it tomorrow when I am not so frustrated. Then I look and the bolt head is GONE! Great I sheared off the bolt...now I have to order some obscure piece to get my car back on the road. Well I looked closer (using my cell phone display as a flashlight) and I noticed the little brass plate is gone too and it looks like it was just a nut and not the bolt head like I initially thought. SO I pulled back the carpet to try and find the tiny nut and brass plate (Still using cell phone for a flashlight) but to no avail. I will look for it tomorrow after work when I have day light and some patience.

Can anybody verify that it is just a nut that I lost?
Jerome

'03 SXT...DODGE NEON CONES

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #067

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:54 pm

DannyBoy wrote:ADJUSTING CLUTCH PEDAL HEIGHT.

If you look under the dash where the rod attaches to the pedal the end of it is slotted. You can loosten up the 8mm bolt and move the pedal in to lower it.
here is a pic of the end of the rod.

You have to make sure that after your done that the throw is long enough to disengage the clutch completely.

What you do is loosen the bolt shown in the picture.....then slide down the clutch pedal till it requires effort to push it down. ** CAUTION** do not go down too far or you will not be able to shift into gears. Tighten bolt and test, make adjustment as nessary. If you go down too far and the gears will not engage you need to loosen the bolt again and pull the clutch out slightly. Do this until clutch feels short enough for you and the gears engage.

Courtesy of: HOTRODACR

Contact HOTRODACR with any questions!

From http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=26 ... hth+height

This is what mine looks like (2001) Mine has a screw, but I don't know what it threads into to tighten. I assumed a treaded hole or welded nut.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

Jerome Adams
2GN Member

Post by Jerome Adams » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:08 pm

thanks for the link... I was looking for that. I will have to look at it tomorrow when I have some light. I am just a wee bit PO'd right now! :cussing:
Jerome

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:09 pm

Bah, that sucks! I'll see if I can help...

(These files take a lot of work to convert)

*edit*

I was too slow with the pics and editing and such. Ok, well in case you can't find it...

Item # 4 in first pic...Part #6500776 (M5x.8x14 bolt)
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:28 am

Free mods do this to me all the time. There is always some problem you run into, then frustration makes it take that much longer. Now I plan things out, and print out instructions so I don't get frustrated.

Jerome Adams
2GN Member

Post by Jerome Adams » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:22 pm

:tardbang: I am OFFICIALLY retarded!!!! :tardbang:

So I take an early lunch and head to the pick and pull. No manual neons! Go across the street, where luckily there is another pick and pull and they have 1 and give the guy $3 for the trouble (his and saving me mine)...then I race home and try to get the rest of the old bolt out. It is a tight fit, the vise grips wont lock on it and the pliers just spin... :cussing: so then I pull the cable off the pin and try to get a better angle. In the process of messing with it, the end of the cable rotates 180 degrees and there is the bolt :slap: ...yep, last night when it was dark, the damn thing rotated when it came off and the bolt was on top instead of on bottom! Oh well, I adjusted it and safety wired it cause I can't get that stupid plastic bushing back in there...

Hope y'all get a good laugh out of it. I need to go to the chiro and get adjusted after contorting my body to get up in there... :owned:
Jerome

ThrIsNoSpork
2GN Member

Post by ThrIsNoSpork » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:21 pm

lol

sounds like you had a busy night...
RIP 2004 e-blue sxt
Totaled 9/18/2008

96 1gn coupe

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:09 pm

:rofl:

Yeah, that sucks...but I think we have all been there before in one way or another!
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

Jerome Adams
2GN Member

Post by Jerome Adams » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:50 pm

ThrIsNoSpork wrote:lol

sounds like you had a busy night...
Yeah, I was pissed and my neck is still sore from laying on floor boards with lower body sprawled across the sidewalk...
Jerome

ThrIsNoSpork
2GN Member

Post by ThrIsNoSpork » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:51 pm

damn thats some good sex :rofl:
RIP 2004 e-blue sxt
Totaled 9/18/2008

96 1gn coupe

lilolneon
2GN Member

Post by lilolneon » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:25 pm

its easier to sit in your seat upside down :lol: let ur feat hang over the top of the seat, while u hang upside down under by ur pedals
(i r inglish gud)
2003 Atlantic Blue SE (R.I.P. 03-06)
2003 Black SXT (R.I.P. 06-14)
2007 Silver Civic LX Coupe

Jerome Adams
2GN Member

Post by Jerome Adams » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:29 pm

:laughing3: I would if I could, but I am broke. Last Nov. I broke my left tibia/fibula and destroyed my left knee (tore mcl and acl). Well the bone is doing well but the knee is still jacked so it is hard for me to get up, down, around, and especially upside down!

here is the link of the leg break if you are interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyfA1BaJEdo

I am still using 1 crutch to get around and looking at ACL/MCL reconstruction on May 8th (no big deal, I have had 2 ACL surgeries on that knee before)
Jerome

Nutmeg
2GN Member

Post by Nutmeg » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:37 pm

:thumbup:

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:26 am

Jerome Adams wrote: here is the link of the leg break if you are interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyfA1BaJEdo

I am still using 1 crutch to get around and looking at ACL/MCL reconstruction on May 8th (no big deal, I have had 2 ACL surgeries on that knee before)
OK, You made me cringe for the day. Now wait till you get 10 more years on that. :shock: Oldness FTL!
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

asanti
2GN Member

Post by asanti » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:17 pm

Ouch! Oh and a quick threadjack: I believe a quick congrats are in order to you Jerome. Just read through the new edition of Sport Compact Car and lo and behold there's a Neon letter from Jerome from MS there! :thumbup: Well there's your 15 min of fame :rofl:

Later
Allex
Official "I drove my Neon till it died" member #??? Parted out the '01 so that she can live on through others! (Now driving + modding my '09 Chevy HHR SS!)
Mat00ES wrote:Find me a buyer and I'll sell some body parts for car parts.

Hudson_Neon
2GN Member

Post by Hudson_Neon » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:41 pm

wow dude, that looks like fun... not. what were you guys doin? some back yard Greco?

TwistedTunerz
2GN Member

Post by TwistedTunerz » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:03 pm

holy movie....wow glad to hear your doing better that would be a huge bitch to recover from thats a really bad break and to tare mcl and acl is really bad at least you got it on tape and u can clearly make some kinda a joke about it..thats always good...bump for gettin better man....also must be a bitch to be using your messed up leg as your clutch leg...PROPS for being a damn trooper threw it all
TwistedTunerz

Jerome Adams
2GN Member

Post by Jerome Adams » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:14 pm

I compete in Highland games (the big fat guys throwing the telephone poles end over end while wearing a kilt)...well I won my division on Saturday and we went back on Sunday to see the rest of the Scottish Festival and my son wanted to try Scottish Backhold Wrestling (aka Celtic Wrestling) and I said what the heck, I will try it too. You can gather the rest from the video...it was just an unfortunate accident. When he tried throwing me, he just spun me instead of picking me up and putting me down so as soon as my left foot touched I drove back up into him and my knee buckled to the inside and that was that.

A guy from work put the video together for me...so all that creative stuff was all him. I just probvided the video and the x-ray.

Yeah that was me in SCC. I have emailed them a few times, kinda shocked that one got printed as it really isn't one of my better works...LOL
Jerome

caliass
n00b

Post by caliass » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:52 pm

Hey,
For those guys that are large, there are 4 olts that hold the seat down. It take about 10 minutes to take them out and take the seat out so that you can comfortably get under the dash.
good luck,
pat

Jerome Adams
2GN Member

Post by Jerome Adams » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:41 pm

will definatley do that next time...either that or stuff my 8 year old son down there... :lol:
Jerome

Return to “Drivetrain”