New problem: seating the axle in the trans

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

New problem: seating the axle in the trans

Post by Donkeypuncher » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:57 am

EDIT: new question at the bottom.
Last edited by Donkeypuncher on Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thttxboy
2GN Member

Post by thttxboy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:26 am

That is the washer that goes on before the axle nut so be sure to put it on once you get ur axle back in

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:09 pm

Thank you sir, that was one of the spots I had in mind. The new axle only had the axle nut so it kind of threw me off.

Removing the knuckle and axle is a lot easier than I thought it would be, took me 45 minutes.

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:54 pm

Okay, so now I'm putting it all back together, but for some reason the axle refuses to seat all the way in the trans. Anybody have some tips on how to get it in there?

It goes almost all the way in, but there is still a 1/2" gap left. I was thinking maybe the little c-clip on the end is stretched out too much making it catch before if fully seats.

Maddog
2GN Member

Post by Maddog » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:39 pm

You just have to keep poking it in there...I know, that's what she said lol
I had the same issue on the pass side on the '01...finally, it just went in. You can also try rotating it to a different spline alignment to see if that's any better.
'02 Flame Red SXR/T

(sorry, no link on banner)

Complete Short Throw Shifters sold here! Custom work available!
PM or email aclnes55@yahoo.com for more information.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:41 pm

Make sure the splines lined up, and ram it home (don't be he-man on it, just give it a good push). If you want, you can compress the c clip slightly.
So many neons so little time.

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:29 am

I knew I was doing it right, it's just being stubborn. The FSM talks about aligning the side gear:

(2) Holding halfshaft assembly by tripod joint and
interconnecting shaft, install tripod joint into transaxle
side gear as far as possible by hand.

(3) Carefully align tripod joint with transaxle side
gears. Then grasp halfshaft interconnecting shaft
and push tripod joint into transaxle side gear until fully seated. Test that snap ring is fully engaged with side gear by attempting to remove tripod joint from transaxle by hand. If snap ring is fully engaged with side gear, tripod joint will not be removable by hand.

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:22 pm

I still can't get it seated all the way in there. I tried compressing the c-clip but it didn't seem to make it any tighter on there. I've spent hours over the past few days just sitting there inserting the axle until my arms start throbbing.

I'm wondering if maybe I got the wrong axle or just a bad axle all together. I compared it to my old one and it looked identical so I'm stumped at this point. I may just buy an axle from another parts store and see if wants to fit, I can always get a refund if I need to.

I can only seat it down to the yellow line, but I'm pretty sure it should go in further. I can easily pull it out by hand so I know the clip never locks in place

I always manage to run into some kind of trouble when I work on this car, it's almost expected now.

thttxboy
2GN Member

Post by thttxboy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:42 pm

I had this issue before and I realized the snap ring was the issue. Try swapping out the snap ring and see if it will work

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:16 am

Damn, I already turned in the old axle for the core charge so I can't swap it out. I'm going down to my local machine shop/parts store tomorrow so I'll see if he's got any snap rings.

What was it that was wrong with the snap ring?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:41 am

If nothing else just remove it, to see if it seats properly with out it.

You could prolly leave it off. The only thing you would need to worry about is if the knuckle needed serviced in the future, is the half shaft sliding out. The 80's cars didn't have retaines, so what I would do is wrap a bungee cord around both axles to hold them in when removing the knuckle(s) for w/e reason. It only took once having the garage floor full of oil because the shaft came out.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:15 pm

I actually considered removing the snap ring to see if it seats all the way, I never thought about leaving it off. I'd be worried that the axle would pull itself out, but I guess it should stay in since the knuckle is on there pretty tight.

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:58 pm

I pulled the snap ring off and it seats all the way in, so that is definitely the culprit. Are you sure it would be safe to run without the snap ring? I'm not sure if the parts store carries that ring by itself.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:10 pm

You can leave it out, it'll be fine. My buddy ran without snap rings, just gotta be careful when you do anything with the knuckles or axles.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:05 pm

:withstupid:

Like I said the snap rings were not used on the eighties cars. I honestly think they were added to ease the assy line work. It has to save a ton of time, not worrying about halfshafts popping out all over the place. Yes the knuckles will retain them. They will ony come out if the ball joint fails. And even if the retaining rings were there, they're going with the knuckle in one way or another. :shock:
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:19 am

Okay that relieves my worries a bit, I just imagined the axle pulling out of the trans while taking a turn. Plus I'll be driving down to austin for our local meet this month and it would suck to break down in the middle of nowhere.

I can handle securing the the axle next time I remove the knuckle, that bungee cord idea should work quite well.

thttxboy
2GN Member

Post by thttxboy » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:59 pm

Yea glad you figured this out. The difference between the snap rings is the after market ones seem to be like a nut hair wider and cause this issue. I actually ripped the boot on my new axle from hitting it so much trying to get it in and I just so happened to look at the old one and saw the difference and I was like man WTF but glad I could help you before you ripped ur boot lol .

hul kogan
Former Moderator

Post by hul kogan » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:52 am

Yes, the snap rings that come on new (reman) halfshafts are a royal bitch. I still remember fighting with mine last time I had to put in a replacement. Ugh...
Chris | 00 Dodge Neon (Dark Jewel) | 04 Dodge Neon R/T | 00 Honda S2000 |

Proud member of CYL [www.caughtyalookin.com]

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:55 pm

Yeah that was pretty frustrating but I got it all back together and it's working fine. You would think the manufacturer could easily fix something that simple before selling them.

I have to do the passenger axle now, but I'm prepared for it. I know to keep the snap ring off my original just in case I run into the same problem.

I refilled with some penzoil synchromesh as well since the trans was kind of loud with the atf in there. It shifts much smoother and that "bag O marbles" sound is gone from what I can hear.

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:37 am

I think I'm going to assassinate my car this week, it just keeps giving me hell.

I put the new passenger axle in and of course I run into the same snap ring problem. I put the stock ring on, and it still wouldn't seat in the trans. So now I'm running with no snap ring on both sides.

After a short drive I pulled into the garage only to find a good 1/2 liter of trans fluid on the floor, nice. I'm guessing the axle seal on the pass. side is bad. I may have overfilled the trans a little, but i don't think that would make it pour out like that. I can see it leaking right at the trans, and it's coming out at a good pace.

While I was under the car I noticed that the top nut of my lth collector is just gone and the bolt is hanging there. I knew there was an exhaust leak, but I didn't think the muffler shop would just not tighten it like that.

At least I know how to change an axle pretty fast now.

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:48 pm

Donkeypuncher wrote:I think I'm going to assassinate my car this week, it just keeps giving me hell.

I put the new passenger axle in and of course I run into the same snap ring problem. I put the stock ring on, and it still wouldn't seat in the trans. So now I'm running with no snap ring on both sides.

After a short drive I pulled into the garage only to find a good 1/2 liter of trans fluid on the floor, nice. I'm guessing the axle seal on the pass. side is bad. I may have overfilled the trans a little, but i don't think that would make it pour out like that. I can see it leaking right at the trans, and it's coming out at a good pace.

While I was under the car I noticed that the top nut of my lth collector is just gone and the bolt is hanging there. I knew there was an exhaust leak, but I didn't think the muffler shop would just not tighten it like that.

At least I know how to change an axle pretty fast now.
Where did you buy the axle seals from ??

I've had problems like this from some Cheap (read: AutoStoned) axle seals before.
Now, I get mine from the dealership.....

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:32 pm

Make sure to lube the seals with fluid before you go grinding the axle in. If you're not careful you can tear the seal, and it's game over.

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:20 pm

I didn't put a new axle seal in, it's just the old oem one probably. I think the shitty clip may have gouged the seal when I was fighting to seat the axle.

I guess I'll hit the dealership for an axle seal, I'd rather get a quality one and not have to pull the axle out again for a 4th time.

Return to “Drivetrain”